Disposable O2 tank question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigNastyBrew

Reaction score
I've been using the aquarium pump and HEPA for a while now and frankly, I got tired of aerating for 30 minutes. Especially now that it's hot and by the time the wort is aerated, the temps higher. :)

So, I bought the adapter from more beer that goes onto the disposable O2 tanks (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc).

Can I run a straight line to the diffusion stone or do I need to filter it inline?

It's a matter of preference. SOME claim you need it to purify the o2...Other's claim that the welder's graade o2 is purer than medical grade. Other's say it's the same.

Some kits come with it, some don't. Mine did, so I mostly use it as the breakaway point for storage.

So, you'll ultimately have to choose...and whatever you choose will be right according to some brewers, and wrong according to others....

but it will all make beer.

It's a matter of preference. SOME claim you need it to purify the o2...Other's claim that the welder's graade o2 is purer than medical grade. Other's say it's the same.

Some kits come with it, some don't. Mine did, so I mostly use it as the breakaway point for storage.

So, you'll ultimately have to choose...and whatever you choose will be right according to some brewers, and wrong according to others....

but it will all make beer.

Talk about diplomacy! :)

Thanks, Revvy. I'll go without it.

It's not the gas what worries me.
Based on my experience with my CO2 tanks I have been using filters for all type of tanks.
My tanks are steel and aluminum, my suppliers tanks are steel and corrosion particles show up on the filter surface over time.
I hate to lose some beer.:D

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Claudius,

I think most of us are refering to the red disposable O2 tanks that we get at the hardware store. To my knowledge they are not refillable, and probably not recycled, so i don't think rust worries are something we need to be concerned about.

What kind of filter are you using on CO2?
Whatman® HEPA-Vent™ and HEPA-Cap™ Disposable Filters - Lab Safety Supply

Here are some pics I took a while back.
Each tank has a filter before going into the CO2 distribution system and at each point of use one more.
The filters at the tanks get replaced at least once a year and at point of use every two years.
Dirty Filter In
CO2_Filters_IN.jpg

Filter out
CO2_Filter_Out_Side.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Back