Dishwashers, Jet Dry, & Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5gBrewer

Reaction score
Recently we tried using some Jet Dry in our dishwasher. Little did I know that the dishwashing enhancer can screw with the heads to our beers when poured into a Jet Dried glass.

What is going to happen to my beers that I will put in the bottles that have been through the Jet Dry?

5gB

If you put the jet dry in with the bottles any head you get will disappear almost as fast as it appeared (that just sounds dirty). If you didn't put it in with bottles but had put it in with other stuff, there might be some effect, but should be less. I use the dishwasher for my bottles and always run a rinse cycle before I load the bottles with nothing in the dishwasher (including no soap). I load and run the bottles with no soap, just let the hot water and hot drying take care of sanitizing. Obviously the bottles are completely clean before going in, I clean immediately after pouring one. I have had no ill effects from this method....no infections and no head retention problems.

I had a book tell me to soak my bottles in a bathtub with some dishwasher detergent, then i realized that this is a big no no, so i rinsed the heck out of them and brushed them as well, will this still mess with my head? of my beer that is?

I think it was the book that came with my brewkit, im not sure. im new and have been reading like crazy on brewing, perhaps i could have thought i read that. thanks

Back