dishwasher sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan1977

Reaction score
I have a question for everyone. What is your opinion on the "sanitize cycle" in the dishwasher?...I conducted a trial run with just bottles in my dishwasher yesterday. When I opened it up and inspected the bottles...they were screamin hot. This leads me to believe that they have to be sanitized. Your take?....

regards,
Ryan

I only recommend the dishwasher on the dry cycle.

There are a coulpe of problems with the dishwasher, (improper temps, food debris from previous load, drying agent,etc.) so I suggest the old fashon way of washing and sanitizing your bottles.

Oxyclean soak, scrub out with bottle brush and remove the label and glue, rinse completely then store upside down until you're ready to sanitize.

Bull

I use the dishwasher to clean and sanitize my bottles before refilling. Never had a problem. Just rinse them out before loading them in. My dishwasher is newer and gets very hot.

I also use mine for sanitizing. I keep my bottles clean anyway by shaking out all sediment with hot water when empty, just got into the habit. In the washer, I use no soap. Stainless tub keeps it hotter than the hubs of Hades in there.

I've used the sanitize cycle in my DW for the last 8 batches of bottled beer and have had no problems. Do not use any soap during the sanitize cycle with your bottles.

When I bottle (unless I'm only doing a six pack or so) sanitizing in the dishwasher is the method I use. I've never had a problem. Just make sure you're loading them into a clean dishwasher and don't use any detergent. Most people say to make sure you don't use any jet-dry. Mine has a reservoir that holds jet-dry and releases a bit during each cycle. Not sure I can drain it, so I don't even worry about it. May make some difference in head retention, but not enough to concern me.

Just make sure your bottles are clean before putting them in the dishwasher. I always do a good soak with oxyclean, followed by a rinse. The narrow opening of the bottle doesn't lend itself to a good enough cleaning in the diswasher.

I used to run my bottles through the heat-dry cycle on the dishwasher to sanitize (they had been cleaned beforehand). My only complaint was that I spent a lot of time waiting for the dishwasher to finish. I think it might actually be quicker to hit each bottle with starsan.

Plus, as mentioned above, the bottles are incredibly hot coming out of the dishwasher. I was always afraid of cracking them if I filled them with 40-degree beer, so I let them cool inside the closed dishwasher for a bit.

I use my dishwasher to clean my bottles sometimes i use starsan too some times I don't & haven't noticed any differance in the two ways.

My first batch I bottled I used the dishwasher to sanitize. Used the dry cycle and that was it, they were already washed.
Now I dip them in starsan swirl it around dump back in my bucket and put them upside down in the dishwasher to let them drain. I figured I am sanitizing my bottling bucket, caps, hoses etc for bottling so this was the easier way to go.
I fill my bottles over my dishwashers door so it is convenient to grab a bottle from the dishwasher and fill it up.

I've used the dishwasher sanitizing method on ALL my bottled batches and have not had a single problem. I run the bottles through a complete cycle, including high temp wash...with NO detergent...and the drying cycle. Leave them cool off a bit, and I'm ready to rock and roll!

glenn514:mug:

So I don't have to worry about it being warm, I just start it up th enight before I plan to brew and it is good and cool when I go at it in the morning.

Tried it last night, and it was a good chance to sit with the wife for a while watching TV before I got to bottle. May try a vinonator (sp?) next batch.

I would still spray them with a spray bottle of starsan. It would be interesting to know what tempurature they get to in there.

I used to use the dw, but the vinator is really easier (for me). Here is the data and some pics. I think I had the thermocouple taped to one of the bottles.

Dishwasher_Sani-Rinse.bmp

Dishwasher_NSF_Statement.JPG

P5120002.JPG

I have bottled upwards of 10 five gallon batches using the dishwasher with
great success. Not a single "off' bottle. What I do is put the bottles in the
dishwasher as I drink them. They get an initial wash with the dishes and then
a few hours before I bottle I put them back in there along with a TBS of
One Step in each detergent cup. I use the heat dry but they cool pretty
fast while priming.

Never a problem using the dishwasher, no soap..I clean the bottles out as I drink them so never a problem with anything clinging to the bottom.

Each bottle is washed with a drop of dish detergent and then rinsed after drinking. They are then stored upside down in a beer case until the next bottling to prevent dirt from entering. When bottling, I rinse them and then use idophor in a vinator. Three squirts and fill. One time I even forgot to use the vinator. I marked that six pack as "not sanitized" and waited for an explosion. I drank them this past weekend and they were just like the sanitized ones. Sometimes I thinks we over sanitize!:mug:

Latest posts

Back