Dishwasher rack as drainer tree?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainGoatBrewing

Reaction score
We usually have been running them through the dishwasher, but it takes nearly an entire 24 hours to dry, and even then they're not all the way done...

We're thinking of soaking them in star san and draining them on the clean dishwasher rack - seems like it would be pretty much the same thing as using one of those plastic trees, no?

Anyone see any reason not to go this route? Basically, we don't want to wait until tomorrow, b/c we've been dry hopping for a week already, and the batch has been in the primary for 24 days total...

Yup - just make sure your dishwasher prongs are completely clean and sanitized. And no need to soak in StarSan - 30s of wet contact time. I just fill & dump out, they stay wet until beer goes in.. And don't fear the foam.

i dont even bother sanitizing the rack and have never had a problem. probably not a bad idea, but if you forget or dont want to do it, it should work just as well.

its also helpful to put your bottling bucket above the dishwasher and open the door to catch any spills. makes cleanup super easy (just close the door).

I use a plastic baby/dog gate between two chairs and pull the bottles out of star San after scrubing and set into the holes of the gate... I can hold a batch and a half... a mix of 12 and 22 oz and let drip dry for an hour and good to go. I do randomly have bottles fall over but a quick soak your back in business.

I use a plastic baby/dog gate between two chairs and pull the bottles out of star San after scrubing and set into the holes of the gate... I can hold a batch and a half... a mix of 12 and 22 oz and let drip dry for an hour and good to go. I do randomly have bottles fall over but a quick soak your back in business.

This is a great idea!
I currently do use my dish washer as well. I don't put the bottles on the posts. I put them through the spaces in between, so nothing touches the inside of the bottle. I can't fit an entire batch in at once, so I like the safety gate idea! :mug:

I don't let mine dry - I just dunk in bucket w/Star San solution to fill the bottle, dump it out and set it on the counter next to the bottling bucket. The glugging creates foam, but when filling, the beer forces the foam out (actually serves as a nice "warning - bottle is full" so I don't spill precious beer).

I sanitize the prongs on the top rack and then use it as a tree after a soak in starsan. Has worked perfectly so far

So I guess what we're learning here is do what works - dial in your process, keep it consistent, and RDWHAHB

Back