Dishwasher causing infections?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
So I have been struggling with bottle side infections. Like 4 batches in a row after 35 perfect brews.

I have completely changed my sanitation techniques including chanfing saintizer (One Step to Iodophor - LHBS did not have Star San).

The one thing that has stayed constant (until my next botteling) is the use of the "dish washer door open to catch dribble" technique.

I'm starting to wonder if the dish washer is breading bad yeasties that are floating into my brew??

Any comments on this?

I use the bottom rack of my dishwasher to hold sanitized bottles and catch the drips when bottling. I put Star San in a spray bottle and spray down the whole inside of the dishwasher; racks, door, etc. So far, no problems. Star San is the way to go...

I'd suspect your bottling bucket, tubing, or bottle filler first

Bucket spigot was the BIG one - the Italian handle (red) has a little dip inside that catches sugar and even though I was rising that did not get ALL until I disassemble the it from the bucket.

Now I fill the bucket up with Iodophor and sanitize everything IN the bucket.

I have one batch (Imperial Stout - awesome recipe) carbing that is FANTASTIC and I'm praying the cycles is broken. Amazing flavor after even 1 week carbing.

Back