Dishwasher + bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muse435

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have kegged 2 of my last 3 batches so I have a lot of bottles that I have been saving. Since I live in an apt SWMBO makes me keep them on the balcony. Can I through them in the dishwasher to clean out the dust before I sanitize them? They are kept in an old toy box that keeps them covered but there are handels on the side. If I put them in the dishwasher should I use soap or just water.

I'm a faithful advocate of washing and sanitizing bottles in the dishwasher... but that's only if they were carefully rinsed after use and kept clean... What you describe tells me they need proper washing by soaking and scrubbing with a bottle brush... sorry :-/

I'm a faithful advocate of washing and sanitizing bottles in the dishwasher... but that's only if they were carefully rinsed after use and kept clean... What you describe tells me they need proper washing by soaking and scrubbing with a bottle brush... sorry :-/

I cleaned them before letting them sit to make sure nothing would grow during storage. do you think they still would need soaking and scrubbing? They still look clean but I know that means nothing.

Do you use soap when you use the dish washer? I think I read something about the soap leaving a residue on the inside.

I have always scrubbed and soaked so I am not against it, it just is tedious.

oh, I was picturing caked on dust from being outside.

Anyways, yes, I do use soap... Yes it can leave a head killing film... No I've never had that problem cause I'm cheap and don't care if my glasses are spotty. It's the anti-spotting agent that causes trouble, so use the cheap stuff. And I run the bottles a second time without soap right before bottling so they are rinsed clean, sanitized, and ready to go. I even pull the dishwasher rack over the the bottling setup to make things quicker and easier.... Of course this is only when I bottle, which is rare these days thanks to kegging :)

Back