dish washer sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thelastdandy

Reaction score
i have had good success (or dumb luck) using a sanitizing option on my dishwasher for sanitizing a bunch of bottles at one time. just pop them in and walk away for 45 minutes and i'm ready for bottling. the dishwasher heats up high enough to kill bacteria. what i'm wondering is if anybody else has tried this. i searched the threads and didn't see anything about using a dishwasher. i can do about 50 bottles at a time which is perfect and by far the easiest thing. could this possibly replace haveing to sanitze equipment by spraying? the dishwaser stays hot and steamy, so could i just pluck out the tools i need as i go? i'm just looking for any shortcut to sanitizing i can find because i am lazy!

I've been doing this method for a while. Although, my dishwasher takes just over an hour to finish and thats not counting the heated dry. I think you have to let it go through the heated dry cycle. When you open it the inside will just be hot (really hot) and not steamy any more. I'm going to kegs because I think this uses a lot of energy between the hot water and the heating element. Just me though. I really like the fact it doesn't take any effort though.

I've been using this method with no problems. Just makes sure the bottles are already clean when you put them in the dishwasher.

I used the dishwasher and the heated dry cycle even before I had a dishwasher with a sanitizing cycle. As mentioned, make sure they are clean first.

If I could just fit my kegs in there...

I rinse the bottles well. I generally rinse them out after drinking from them. Alas not all my friends do so sometimes I put oxyclean in them overnight. One more rinse then in the dishwasher. Run on sanitize, no heat dry (I have replaced enough of those rubber seals on my bottles as it is).

About 45 mins to sanitize, 15 to let cool. Generally I through them into the kegerator if I am impatient). Then bottle as normal.

Back