Dish soap in yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
Hello,

I have made many yeast starters and this one has me worried. When I was boiling the DME there was an unusual amount of foam. I thought maybe it was a good hot break so I thought nothing of it. Then I poured the wort into my 2L flask and still saw some foam, I figured this would be from the StarSan. Now I have the flask on my stir plate and foam is still there.

The pot I used was just washed by my wife, I'm thinking maybe there was still some soap residue on the pot. This is a 1L starter with Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast. After 10 min on the stir plate there is still soapy residue on the flask and in the wort. From my experience StarSan foam would have been gone by now.

Do you think soapy residue will kill the yeast or have negative affects on my starter? I would hate to start over and spend another $7 on yeast. My gut feeling says RDWHAHB and finish out the starter. What do you all think? Here's a photo....

IMG_0978.jpg

I agree. RDWHAHB. With the amount the soap was diluted there should be no effect on the yeast. And by the time that gets to the beer it will be diluted more.

I think you'll be able to tell if there is a problem just by looking at the yeast growth of the starter, if it looks happy I'm sure its fine! Excellent quality pic by the way :D

I think you'll be able to tell if there is a problem just by looking at the yeast growth of the starter, if it looks happy I'm sure its fine! Excellent quality pic by the way :D

Thanks! Now there is a huge ball of foam in the center of the flask. The yeast is fermenting because I can smell it and the wort color is changing.

I'm curious about this...Everyone always says the slightest amount of dish soap will destroy head retention. I'm not sure I believe it. I would love to know if this beer comes out fine.

I'm curious about this...Everyone always says the slightest amount of dish soap will destroy head retention. I'm not sure I believe it. I would love to know if this beer comes out fine.

I think they mean if you clean your bottles with dish soap before filling them. I doubt a 1L starter will have an affect on a 5gal batch.

Taste it. We can detect even tiny amounts of soap. If it's there, you'll know. If you don't taste soap, RDWHAHB.

Most of the soap will be dissolved in your starter beer and a proportional (small) amount cling to the yeast slurry. When the starter is ready, decant as much off as you can and add some sanitized water or cool wort to swirl it up and pitch.

I would taste some of that starter beer though and make sure there isn't a *huge amount* of soap in it. If there is, I guess you could wash the slurry, decreasing the amount of soap in the slurry with each wash.

Taste it. We can detect even tiny amounts of soap. If it's there, you'll know. If you don't taste soap, RDWHAHB.

I would but I know for sure there's soap in it.

Most of the soap will be dissolved in your starter beer and a proportional (small) amount cling to the yeast slurry. When the starter is ready, decant as much off as you can and add some sanitized water or cool wort to swirl it up and pitch.

I would taste some of that starter beer though and make sure there isn't a *huge amount* of soap in it. If there is, I guess you could wash the slurry, decreasing the amount of soap in the slurry with each wash.

That's a good idea to decant and add water. I may do that. This is for an Irish stout, which has tons of flavor so I'm not worried about the soap actually. I also do partial boils so ill be adding about 2gal of water. I'll definitely crash and decant though. It's been about 12 hours and it looks like the starter has fermented out already. I'll cold crash now and possibly brew tonight.

Next time ill have re-rinse the dishes my wife cleans :)

If you can't taste it in your starter beer, there's no need to further "wash" it. And stouts are very forgiving taste wise.

You can call it the "Dawn of Stouts", "Dawning Stout", or simply "Dawn's Stout" :D

Back