Disgusting Pineapple Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pendragon524

Reaction score
Hello brewing friends.

I took my first crack at pineapple wine. After three weeks of steady fermentation using yeast with a tolerance of 15% (Red Star Premier Rouge), I took the final gravity reading on my now-wine and it indicated an ABV of 16%. I knew that with an alcohol content that high, the wine was going to have a stronger alcohol taste to it that I had been accustomed to. Even with that firmly in my mind, what greeted me upon tasting was nothing short of firey garbage. It tasted like vodka with a slight hint of pineapple. So, my question for all of you good people is, did I do something wrong? Is that just how pineapple wine tastes, perhaps because the goodness within the juice simply doesn't transition through fermentation? Or is there hope for a better-tasting pineapple wine?

Most Likely it’s going to be ok with age. Higher abv ferments really stress the yeast, you’ll end up with more odd aromas and flavors, all of which are mellowed or disappears with time. The fruit flavors may come back as the yeast farts dissipate.

Do you know the TA of this wine? Do you know the final gravity? Sounds to me like you have focused on ABV and not on balance. You want the TA to be about 6 g/L and you might prefer this wine to be a little more sweet than it has finished. I don't know what 3 cups of sugar means when it comes to your starting gravity but 15 % ABV suggests to me a starting gravity that is way above 1.090 perhaps closer to 1.120, and few fruit wines can stand to be made with that amount of sugar given the limited intensity of flavor absent the sweetness before fermentation

Do you know the TA of this wine? Do you know the final gravity? Sounds to me like you have focused on ABV and not on balance. You want the TA to be about 6 g/L and you might prefer this wine to be a little more sweet than it has finished. I don't know what 3 cups of sugar means when it comes to your starting gravity but 15 % ABV suggests to me a starting gravity that is way above 1.090 perhaps closer to 1.120, and few fruit wines can stand to be made with that amount of sugar given the limited intensity of flavor absent the sweetness before fermentation

What do you mean that few fruits can stand to be made with that amount of sugar? Does the added sugar somehow diminish the fruit flavor?

Back