disease on fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CiderTreeMan

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Im looking for some advice, I am in the process of taking over a run down biodynamic orchard, with a mix of very old, old and very young trees. The orchard is located in northern Europe.

I can tell already that some of the trees are soon to become firewood, some of them look healthy enough with lots of good looking fruit.

Some of the trees look healthy and have some fruit that is gone brown with white/brown marks on them, im unsure what it is and if it is the whole tree or just some rotten fruit.

Would appreciate any advice.
20200811_175510.jpg

My guess was going to be a fungus of some sort. Probably a good idea to remove all infected fruit.

That's definitely brown rot. We get it a lot on plums and cherries, but hardly ever on apples and pears. It's definitely something to try to eliminate. It's not so easy to remove all the infected fruit, but if you put sheets under the trees you can catch them.

That looks like yeast blooms on damaged fruit. The tree looks otherwise healthy.

I'm thinking that it's either insect damage or old hail damage.

Back