Disconnecting kegs with beer in them

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weeple2000

Reaction score
I was having people over tonight, so I rushed to get my keezer operational although it isn't finished. I realized I need to use cauk to attach the lid rather than just set it on top of the collar. I also need to add insulation, because I can feel the 1x12" collar's coldness to the touch.

To do this I need to take the lid off for at least 24 hours for the cauk to dry, although depending on how I attach the insulation to the collar it may wind up taking a few days. I have 2 kegs hooked up to the faucets. I am wondering if it is a good idea to attempt this while the kegs still have beer in them.

Right now there is beer in the lines, because I've been serving it. What do I do if I want to take a keg off of a faucet when there is beer in the lines?

I am assuming that I will be able to leave the kegs in the keezer not being refrigerated, although maybe it would be better to set them in the garage where they will be at near fridge temps.

Is there anything else I'm forgetting?

Leave them be. Disconnect the gas and the beer lines. Rebuild your collar and use this opportunity to clean your beer lines while disconnected. The kegs can sit warm.

Is there a good kegging FAQ somewhere?

Are the liquid lines always going to have something in them, either a bit of beer or sanitizing solution or whatever was last in them? Should I expect to wind up with a bit of a mess disconnecting them? Or is there a way to get the excess out of the line when disconnecting?

If your disconnects and poppets are sound, at most the top of the Out post might be wet with beer.

A 10' 3/16"ID beer line holds less than a couple of ounces of beer, so just plan on dumping two ounces once you get everything hooked back up and cooled down...

Cheers!

Back