Disaster?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just cracked my first bottle of my stout..... and it was the most foul thing ive ever tasted!!!!! horrid! metallic tasting... so unpleasant i cant describe it!

I used a coopers stout mix (still a n00b) boiled it up..... fermented 2 weeks (thats what the book says to do, realized is not necessarily true) racked into a bottling bucked then bottles, kept everything clean, im gonna try another one...

it'll help if you post your recipe and process just like if you were sharing a cooking recipe(cause in a sense you are).

Ok, I just opened another one, and it was the same horrid smell (couldn't even drink it) and it was almost explosively carbonated (even tho i used the same amount of primer as last time.)

eriktlupus said:
it'll help if you post your recipe and process just like if you were sharing a cooking recipe(cause in a sense you are).

i used the coopers can, brought it to a boil, and dissolved a 2 pound bag of dark DME.

no hops? how did you chill?what did you ferment in, at what temps with what kind of yeast. how much priming sugar did you use?

Did any previous batches have this same flavor? Did you notice anything funny about the extract when you opened it? Did it have this flavor before you bottled?

Did you get a new pot or anything like that?

eriktlupus said:
no hops? how did you chill?what did you ferment in, at what temps with what kind of yeast. how much priming sugar did you use?
http://www.coopers.com.au/homebrew/hbrew.php?pid=1&id=113

thats what i used, it says it has hops in it....

I placed the pot in a sink full of ice water and waited (probably left it to hot, when I pitched) I used whaever kind of yeast comes in the can (hopefully not dead, it did create a lot of foam.....) and I used a 3/4 cup of priming sugar, disoved in hot water, then added to the bucket before adding the beer (so it would mix). Im seeing lots of places i could have (and probably did) go wrong, kills me cuz the first 2 batches I made were great!

almost all Coopers kits are pre-hopped extract.

however the 2 lbs of DME would definitely cause an imbalance in maltiness to bitterness. that won't explain the 'horrid metallic taste'.

what was the OG? what was the gravity at bottling? (if you don't know either of those, that's 2 strikes)

I'd like to hear how you sanitized the fermenter, the racking hoses, the bottling bucket, and the bottles.

also whether it splashed a lot at any time after you pitched the yeast.

Hate to say it, but it sounds like something went very wrong with this batch.

YooperBrew said:
Did any previous batches have this same flavor? Did you notice anything funny about the extract when you opened it? Did it have this flavor before you bottled?

Did you get a new pot or anything like that?

no, my first batch was a stout also, and it was GREAT. nope, didnt notice anything. I did feel something was wrong with the yeast (thats why i came here in the first place). Ididnt taste it before bottling (but i would have noticed this smell, im mean WOW, yech) nope, same brew pot, same carboy,....

malkore said:
almost all Coopers kits are pre-hopped extract.

however the 2 lbs of DME would definitely cause an imbalance in maltiness to bitterness. that won't explain the 'horrid metallic taste'.

what was the OG? what was the gravity at bottling? (if you don't know either of those, that's 2 strikes)

I'd like to hear how you sanitized the fermenter, the racking hoses, the bottling bucket, and the bottles.

also whether it splashed a lot at any time after you pitched the yeast.

Hate to say it, but it sounds like something went very wrong with this batch.

yeah if I only have 2 strikes im luck i guess.... I dint know what the hydromeeter was for at that time. sigh.

I used the cleanser that came with my kit, it was premeasured. I filled the carboy with water, then let it soak (water and cleanser) then used the brush to scrub the carboy, then rinsed maybe 3 times, the added in allt he tubes and stuff, and soaked again..... then drained and rinsed untill it was no longer soapy.

After I pitched the yeast, I did the multiple poor thing, that it suggests....

did you change water?

it could be that you got an older can of extract or that the can had a flaw in it and leeched metal in the extract

eriktlupus said:
did you change water?

it could be that you got an older can of extract or that the can had a flaw in it and leeched metal in the extract

changed water?

ugh!!! pisses me off! :'( and my IPA only has 5 bottles left. ugh! que malo!

You described how you cleaned your carboy and items- what cleanser did you use? Did you sanitize it after cleaning? I"m not quite understanding your process. What where the names of the products you used?

wood spoon=no good
is your kettle stainless, or aluminum?

I guess I'm still hung up on what you used to sanitize. It sounds like you cleaned very well, but I'm not sure about the sanitizer.

I use an aluminum pot (let's NOT start that debate again!) and a plastic spoon. I don't have metallic off-flavor. I think it's got to be the LME (bad LME) or sanitation.

YooperBrew said:
I guess I'm still hung up on what you used to sanitize. It sounds like you cleaned very well, but I'm not sure about the sanitizer.

I use an aluminum pot (let's NOT start that debate again!) and a plastic spoon. I don't have metallic off-flavor. I think it's got to be the LME (bad LME) or sanitation.

I used the star san that came with the kit......

im betting i got it infected..... well CRAP! anyone have any beer to spare...... :off:

YooperBrew said:
Well, you don't rinse star san. But that should have sanitized it anyway.

note to self, read directions on cleanser......

this is very depressing, i did it fine for 2 batches..... and the 3rd one is the disaste my apfelwine better be good or im gonna.... be sad :(

claphamsa said:
note to self, read directions on cleanser......

this is very depressing, i did it fine for 2 batches..... and the 3rd one is the disaste my apfelwine better be good or im gonna.... be sad :(

Well, we haven't completely figured out the problem. But I am still hung up on the cleaning/sanitizing issue. Remember to always clean first, then sanitize. Clean can be with hot water and oxyclean, just to get the junk and crud off. Then after it's well rinsed, then use your sanitizer to kill any germs.

Still, I'm not convinced that's the issue. I'm really leaning towards the bad LME. That would explain "metallic" tasting better than a sanitation issue. Infections usually taste foul, but in a different way!

I suggest always sampling your beer- as a wort, out of the fermenter, before bottling, etc. Then you could come back and say, "Well it tasted fine out of the primary........" and we could really help nail this.

YooperBrew said:
Well, we haven't completely figured out the problem. But I am still hung up on the cleaning/sanitizing issue. Remember to always clean first, then sanitize. Clean can be with hot water and oxyclean, just to get the junk and crud off. Then after it's well rinsed, then use your sanitizer to kill any germs.

Still, I'm not convinced that's the issue. I'm really leaning towards the bad LME. That would explain "metallic" tasting better than a sanitation issue. Infections usually taste foul, but in a different way!

I suggest always sampling your beer- as a wort, out of the fermenter, before bottling, etc. Then you could come back and say, "Well it tasted fine out of the primary........" and we could really help nail this.

funny thing is the first stout i tried out of the fermenter and it was bad... so i havent sampled the others. but in the end that one turned out fab!

This may or may not help.

flavorwheel.gif

Back