Disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boulty82

Reaction score
Hi all, well I've finally bought my home brewing kit and mixed it all up today on my fermenter but realised it is leaking from the where the tap goes, my question is can I lay my fermenter on its side with the tap facing upwards to stop it leaking? Any answers are much appreciated

Technically, assuming the lid is on good. BUt I'm not sure that is the best option.

I might even recommend running to a LHBS if you have one and grabbing a new regular bucket or even a trip to Home Depot or Lowe's. Make sure you use a blow off tube though

Hi all, well I've finally bought my home brewing kit and mixed it all up today on my fermenter but realised it is leaking from the where the tap goes, my question is can I lay my fermenter on its side with the tap facing upwards to stop it leaking? Any answers are much appreciated

How long has it been since you pitched your yeast? If fermentation has not begun you could pour the contents of the fermentor into another container. Tighten the spigot and pour back. If fermentation has begun this would oxidize your beer. A safer option may be to siphon most of the wort to another bucket and use that bucket as a fermentor, or siphon back if not suitable for fermenting after tightening spigot. Still some risk of oxidation the more a wort is moved if fermentation has begun.

Buckets usually do not seal well. You may have a bigger leak putting the bucket on its side.

Thanks for your answer, I pitched the yeast around 3 hours ago, I have no other buckets or anything big enough to put it in and my local HBS is closed, there is a very good seal on the bucket so has stopped the leak, what problems would occur with it being on its side rather than upright? I also took the airlock off and covered the hole.

If you have no airlock and the hole is covered, your lid is going to blow off as soon as the yeast begins to ferment the wort and create CO2. You should stand the bucket up as soon as possible and uncover the hole.

If you have no airlock and the hole is covered, your lid is going to blow off as soon as the yeast begins to ferment the wort and create CO2. You should stand the bucket up as soon as possible and uncover the hole.

True, unless you opened the spigot to act as a vent. I would stick on some tubing just in case as well.

twistr25 said:
I might even recommend running to a LHBS if you have one and grabbing a new regular bucket or even a trip to Home Depot or Lowe's. Make sure you use a blow off tube though

+1

If you can make a run to Lowes, they sell white food grade buckets. They will have a "food grade, Heavy Duty, BPA Free" sticker on them and should be in the paint section.

Yes I opened the tap slightly to act as a vent, can't get anywhere today to get another bucket, but will try tomorrow, will the wort not do in the bucket on its side? What problems might occur because of it?

Go to a local grocery that has a deli or cake decorating. Get a large food grade bucket there. I can pick up a 5 gallon bucket here for a dollar.

The yeast will be completely disoriented being turned sideways like that. The resulting beer will probably taste like wet dog, or dirty socks.

The problem right now is the longer you wait, the greater chance you'll risk oxidation moving to a new bucket. So if you do that method, it kind of needs to happen soon. No real danger per say, not that I can think of offhand, but when you go to move it again, you'll have to stand it up and wait for the yeast cake to resettle, which will put you in the same position again with it leaking. You could transfer to another bucket, but you will certainly bring a lot of trub with it.

Thanks for your answers, as I can't get hold of anything now until tomorrow I think I will leave it be, i don't mind it leaking a bit while it settles once stood upright so if worse case scenario is I lose a bit of brew before bottling I think I will chance it! Will see how it goes And let you know.

The yeast will be completely disoriented being turned sideways like that. The resulting beer will probably taste like wet dog, or dirty socks.

Ahhh dammit, I suppose when it's done the head of the pint will be down the side and not at the top as well! ;)

In a major emergency (this one may qualify...Its a miracle the lid doesn't leak liquid..yet), I think a hail mary would be to get a homedepot bucket and lid, and simply transfer and lay the lid on top??

I doubt his bucket will burst since the spigot is not leak proof..but I dont trust the lid maintaining integrity is pressure builds.

So would uncovering the airlock help?

I think your best bet is to open the spigot, attach some tubing and stick it in a starsan solution. That way it's vented and you can see it bubbling.

If you open the airlock port, could get some nasties in there.

If the lid is holding now, it may hold for three weeks. The open spigot is releasing the pressure. Are you a woodworker also? Have some 36" clamps?

Nobody mentioned fixing the leak... Get some caulk or glue or epoxy or something and seal it up. If you're worried about those chemicals try some Teflon tape or duct tape (or something that works underwater). Just some ideas. GL!

Update.. I fixed the leak with some tape around the tap, Stood the fv up carefully and now all is good (touch wood) the brew has settled nicely and is bubbling away like a good un, thanks for all your advice

Nobody mentioned fixing the leak... Get some caulk or glue or epoxy or something and seal it up. If you're worried about those chemicals try some Teflon tape or duct tape (or something that works underwater). Just some ideas. GL!

You don't want to completely seal it because it is advisable to take it apart every once in a while to clean it out. Wort and trub can get stuck in it and cause infections down the road.

I assumed he had already tried tape or something, guess that's what I get.... :tank:

Update.. I fixed the leak with some tape around the tap, Stood the fv up carefully and now all is good (touch wood) the brew has settled nicely and is bubbling away like a good un, thanks for all your advice

You shouldn't be "touching wood" while brewing, may impart some off flavors if you know what I mean..

Glad you got it figured out; at some point you should get a proper fermentation bucket instead of using the bottling bucket for double duty - yeast and sediment and eventually other nasties will build up inside that valve; you can take it apart and clean it after every batch, but eventually the threads will get stripped and it won't seal as well and you will develop other leaks.

Yep will do, got a good krausen round the top of the bucket and taken a sample today and got a gravity reading of 1.008 from 1.042 , is it plausible fermentation has nearly finished after only 3 days ? Been stored at a constant 20 degrees, I know I should never go off the airlock activity but it was bubblimg away constantly since Monday evening and now has stopped and the water level in the s bend airlock has evened out as it has been all on one side while bubbling.

Just to be safe I think you should send a couple of six packs to my "Lab" for analysis..... after you bottle that is? :D

It is possible it is finished fermenting after 3 days, especially at 20C, that's a little warm. BUT, that doesn't mean it is ready. The yeast will go back and clean up after themselves now. I'd still leave it for at least another 7 days, check your FG again and then you can likely package.

Back