disaster brew day.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BA_from_GA

Reaction score
Was going to brew an IPA yesterday and keg 15 gal of various brews.....

Grain mill broke, so rather than my usual 80% efficiency I got closer to 50%.

Ipa i was kegging had weird bubbles on the surface, smelled and tasted ok, but looked infected as crap.

kegging 10 gal of cream of 3 crops. Tasted SUPER sweet, but was at 1.008. We'll see how it ends up.

I did nearly finish the keezer collar, and bottom line....

Worst day brewing is better than the best day working! RDWHAHB!!!

Now I'm gonna go make a new pasta roller mill....

Could it be hop particles floating on the krausen of your IPA, like a greenish sludge from the remains of hop pellets mixed with yeast? If it tastes fine it is fine.

This was my worst brew day. Back when I lived in an apartment, about 30% of my brewing operation took place in my bathroom. It was full with 6 gallons of water. Ever since this, I've never moved a full carboy without a brewhauler.

The biggest pain in the ass was getting all the little bits of glass out of the crevasses in the floor so I could walk barefoot in there again.

5471389635_ca448aea10_b.jpg

Yeah. My guess is when i opened it up on thursday to take a hydrometer sample something got in there....Saturday morning i noticed the bubbles... and there were many more than that before i moved the carboy to transfer to a keg.

It was pretty much done fermenting (1.010) so hopefully there isn't much in there for bacteria to eat.... Tasted fine, smelled fine, but sure as hell doesn't look fine.

I guess we'll see what happens with it. Pissed at myself for opening it tho.

Back