Disassembling Cornies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdf191

Reaction score
I am looking at my corny, about to take it apart for the first time. I have used it for several batches already. But in the past I simply filled with BLC shook it around and then ran the BLC through the system, Keg-lines-tap. Then I normally do the same thing with diluted StarSan, then fill with new beer.

The reason I am going to take it apart it because it seems to be suggested for getting it nice and clean by most of you. But I was just thinking to myself...what am i actually cleaning that my previous system doesn't already do? If I am simply removing valves and dip tubes...wouldn't my way of cleaning get everything that ever gets exposed to the beer? Or am I wrong?

You'll be able to clean the insides of both dip tubes if you have a little brush. you'll be able to get any sticky syrup off the threads for the posts, and you'll be able to clean and lube the poppets and safety valve.

clean, lubed poppets and valves are less likely to leak than if they are dry or dirty.

I clean my kegs every so many re-fills. otherwise, I just clean with oxyclean, then sanitize until I have beer to fill it with.

Back