Disappointed with Austin Homebrew Supply

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nucmed24

Reaction score
I asked for some gift certificates to Austin Homebrew for Christmas from my family this year, as I've purchased kits and other things from them in the past and had been pleased with both product quality and low shipping cost.

BUT... I can't believe that they are out of stock of so many different items lately. I've wanted to purchase either a counterflow or plate chiller. Both are out of stock. I've wanted to purchase a new burner. Out of stock. I've looked at getting a March Pump. Out of stock. Yeast Starter flask. OOS... etc. etc.

But what has been worse, is that the expected in stock date has continuously changed. The counterflow chiller was supposed to be in stock on Jan 8th, then changed to the 9th, then the 21st. Now it says the 30th. I contacted AHS, and their response was honestly very unapologetic, but just point of fact that they had a busy holiday season and can't get things back in stock yet, difficulty with vendor.

I am now regretting asking for gift certificates from them... I see many of these items are currently in stock thru Northern Brewer, Midwest, etc. Live and learn, I guess.

So, you have a hard time dealing with reality.

I will have to agree with the OP Austin is generally my goto place but when I cant get the dme I want or maris otter malt etc Im forced to use a different vendor, like my last 2 orders. The reality is that they are out of stock on enough things to where it becomes a hassle and I just end up ordering from different vendors. I really would like the ability to at the very least add items that are out of stock to my cart and then they just ship it out when it becomes available.

I understand your frustration. I've been there where they don't have one ingredient for a brew, but they give a date to be in-stock. So you wait, only to find they move the date out farther. In fact, every place has its issues. Some places don't tell you they are out of something. They let you order and buy it, then send you an email somewhere down the line that they in fact don't have it and place it on back order. Which is worse? I say the latter.

AHS has always been my go to, except with my last order my fermentis yeast all came repackaged rather than in the normal nitrogen flushed satchets. Some of the packets had two different labels on them. I emailed them and they just said the yeast was viable. When I responded back about the labels and the packaging, I never got a response.

AHS has always been my go to, except with my last order my fermentis yeast all came repackaged rather than in the normal nitrogen flushed satchets. Some of the packets had two different labels on them. I emailed them and they just said the yeast was viable. When I responded back about the labels and the packaging, I never got a response.

That seems pretty sketchy...

That seems pretty sketchy...

Yeah, not a fan of this....

img_20140120_152337_524-1-61881.jpg

Same issues here. They have been my go-to for the last couple of years but they have been consistently backordered on a surprisingly large variety of items since at least October or November. Yeast, especially dry, seems to be consistently out of stock. I hope it's just growing pains that they can work out, since I have generally been very happy with them. It's going to hurt business if it keeps up, though. I actually tried NB for the first time in December as a result.

Here is a pic of my S23 packet. Its tough to make out in the picture, but it has one label on top of another. The bottom label has had the name of the yeast blotted out with a marker. My S04 looks just like AZ_IPA's.

CAM00074.jpg

Why are you buying a repackaged yeast? Unless you are getting a great discount (I would not be buying a re-pack under any circumstances). Would you buy re-packaged Wyeast or WLP? With these packages you guys have shown, I wouldn't know for a fact that I've gotten the yeast I ordered.

Why are you buying a repackaged yeast? Unless you are getting a great discount (I would not be buying a re-pack under any circumstances). Would you buy re-packaged Wyeast or WLP? With these packages you guys have shown, I wouldn't know for a fact that I've gotten the yeast I ordered.

Had I known it was repackaged, I wouldn't have bought it...

I really would like the ability to at the very least add items that are out of stock to my cart and then they just ship it out when it becomes available.

This would be a great option... if we knew the original "in stock date" would not be changed. But AHS keeps changing the dates. Of course I've now become skeptical of the counterflow chiller actually being in stock on January 30th, as an example.

And yes, kh54s10, I am complaining about OOS's right after Christmas. Because many of the other online homebrew supply stores currently have significantly less OOS's that Austin has. And it has obviously been a problem since Nov/Dec as others have posted.

If it wasn't for the gift certificates that I have, I would be shopping elsewhere. And this situation will definitely affect my decision making when shopping for homebrew ingredients and equipment in the future.

Had I known it was repackaged, I wouldn't have bought it...

Same here.

Have you contacted AHS to ask about this???

I have. The response I got was that the yeast is broken down from bulk packages in a clean room and it is safe and viable. I responded pointing out the mislabeling, lack of nitrogen flushing, and misleading pictures on the website and never got a reply.

Same here.

I have. The response I got was that the yeast is broken down from bulk packages in a clean room and it is safe and viable. I responded pointing out the mislabeling, lack of nitrogen flushing, and misleading pictures on the website and never got a reply.

I would ask to see this 'clean room'.

I have never purchased anything from AHS (my brother has and those kits were horrific). Their prices seemed to be way too high compared to my LHBS and several others that I checked online. This just solidifies the fact that I will never order from them... Poor customer service, low to nonexistent stock *and* repackaged yeast? No thanks!

I would like to formally apologize for the stock levels lately. We were hit hard with several real expensive surprise expenses. We were also hit hard this season. I am in the process of stocking everything back up. The Maris Otter was unavailable from our supplier for over a month. I just ordered over 100,000 oz of hops and over 70,000 pounds of grain and we are ordering more every day. I am in the process of reviewing all of our products and lowering as many prices as I can. Because of one of the major purchases, We have much bigger buying power this year than last year. This will bring new products and lower prices.

I appreciate your understanding.

Forrest Rogness
Austin Homebrew Supply

Have always had good experiences with them. Sad to see that yeast situation and poor customer service.

We don't repackage yeast if it is available in small packages. There are some strains that are not available in small packages but people want them so we have obliged. The yeast pictured should not have been packaged that way. I will fix that issue tomorrow. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Forrest Rogness
Austin Homebrew Supply

When you say you were hit hard with several expenses, do you normally keep stock on hand or do you buy once a customer places an order on your site?

I would also like to say that even with the oos issues they have been having lately I have had nothing but really good service from them and Idk where others are buying but their prices and flat rate shipping make them very competitive to other stores with me. I'm glad they are working on the oos issues so I can continue to shop with them. I ordered one of their pet carboys a few weeks ago and one of them arrived with a dent in it. I sent them an email and within 12 hours I had a tracking number and an apology even though it wasn't their fault. It arrived before that weekend double boxed with extra peanuts total overkill but showed they really cared. Made me a happy customer and I will continue to be one as long as they have what I want for sale. I think that is fair.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Home Brew mobile app

I have used most of the online HBS and, I count Austin as one of the best. I am particularly impressed that they are willing to come on here and address any problems. They seem to really try to keep costs down and provide quality products. This hobby is growing rapidly and as such we will encounter some supply problems.

I haven't purchased recently, but I consider AHS amongst the best.

I do have a complaint though. I bought a Portuguese Corker and it was packed so well that I have a very large box of packing peanuts that I am still trying to figure out how to dispose of.

AHS rocks!!:rockin:

This is not necessary, be constructive.

OP - I've had great experiences with AHB, fast shipping and great products. We all get hit from time to time with unexpected expenses as Forrest said.

If for some reason they're out of what I need, I shop around my area's LBHs for the same, or similar equipment / material (even though it tends to cost a bit more)

I would like to formally apologize for the stock levels lately. We were hit hard with several real expensive surprise expenses. We were also hit hard this season. I am in the process of stocking everything back up. The Maris Otter was unavailable from our supplier for over a month. I just ordered over 100,000 oz of hops and over 70,000 pounds of grain and we are ordering more every day. I am in the process of reviewing all of our products and lowering as many prices as I can. Because of one of the major purchases, We have much bigger buying power this year than last year. This will bring new products and lower prices.

I appreciate your understanding.

Forrest Rogness
Austin Homebrew Supply

Anybody who is about to be the proud owner of 3 1/8 tons of hops deserves a little slack in return for his trouble. Plus I'll be entertained for the next few minutes while I try to imagine what that looks like.

Thanks for the support and understanding. As for the shipping peanuts, they dissolve in warm water.

Forrest

Thanks, I saw that they were shrinking???

It packed my Portuguese corker that came in perfect condition and works like a charm. Time to make some more wine!

I also want to second what others have said here, I consider AHS one of my go to IHBS (Internet Home Brew Store). I consider it one of the better if not among the best that I use.

That being said keeping stock is important - big expenses or not, you have to keep the basic blocking and tackling, even while expanding, repairing, re-trenching whatever.

"Reality" is that he requested gift certificates for Austin, expecting to be able to use them, and now he's stuck. I can understand his frustration, since the stuff he wanted to buy with the certificates seems to be readily available elsewhere.

I'm not sure what you think you accomplished by mocking him.....

I've always had good experiences with AHS, so I'm not going to complain.

BUT, I'm wondering if this is a case of "Lean Manufacturing Processes" at work. Many companies are employing "lean" concepts to control costs. In my dealings with "lean" over the past few years, the company over emphasizes inventory turns for cost savings, but the reality is unhappy customers in terms of quality and customer satisfaction.

I hope this isn't the case here, but seems consistent with the whole Lean Philosophy if you're not making a car.

Since Austin Homebrew is reading this thread I will ask here. Can you tweak your site so I can add oos items and qualities to wishlists? And the ability to have multiple wish lists would be awesome. I've been using amazon's wish lists to manage items I want on your site since they allow linking from other websites. I just ask since I want to say I read somewhere that you are launching a new site soon.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Home Brew mobile app

I have always received high quality, well packaged kits from austin. I usually only order when they do the anniversary sale each year or when they have a good sale but their prices and quality are always more than fair. I personally prefer them to midwest any day. Give them a little more slack this time.

Ill still order from ahs especially if that's not how their fermentis yeast is supposed to be. I've never had issues with them and their customer service has been great.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

I'd like to double up the suggestion that AHS should allow the wishlisting of out of stock items. Wishlists offer the customer one page to check the status easily, and allow the store to assess demand. The wishlisting could even offer an option of an email notice when the item was back on the shelf.

I recall that some AHS items that I had wishlisted became out of stock, yet they stayed on the wishlist with some sort out of stock notice. I think it one was a 60-minute clone kit. At the same time, you couldn't find the clone on a site search (though you could find it listed on the kits sold page and link back). I thought the ghosting of the clone page a bit klutzy.

BUT, I'm wondering if this is a case of "Lean Manufacturing Processes" at work. Many companies are employing "lean" concepts to control costs. In my dealings with "lean" over the past few years, the company over emphasizes inventory turns for cost savings, but the reality is unhappy customers in terms of quality and customer satisfaction.

If that's your experience with Lean, then somebody is doing it wrong. The whole point of Lean is to eliminate waste to control costs, and unhappy customers who cancel orders and/or don't come back are a major cost. Granted, organizations tend to get carried away with magic buzzword quality tools and often pull the trigger before they aim. That doesn't sound like the case here, though. This is just $**t happening at the wrong time, which is par for the course with any small business. Sometimes you just get knocked down.

In defense of [some] MBAs, though, statistical inventory management is a ridiculously effective tool when used by someone who has the right data and knows what he/she is doing. Again, applied properly it results in happier customers because management has a more reliable projection of how much they need and when. Management also saves money because they don't carry unnecessarily large stocks. Plus, if your inventory guy/gal is really awake, they tend to find all kinds of "well, duh" places to fix the supply chain while sifting through the numbers.

(Said the guy with the totally fake brewing company. ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back