disappearing beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugilist

Reaction score
I racked my boston lager clone to secondary yesterday and during primary it was exactly 5gals. When done racking yesterday it didnt get my 5gal carboy nearly as full and there was a thick yeast cake. Anyone else lose a decent amount of beer into the cake?

I always lose some when going from primary to secondary, then a little more going to the bottling bucket. You just can't get the last amount without sucking up the sediment. I try to overshoot the inital 5 gallons so I wind up close to that at the end.

I noticed that on my hobgoblin. I put much less than 5gal into the secondary...that, and once I put it in the keg it disappears too....odd how beer does that

i put 6g into primary, and then secondary a full-to-the-top 5g carboy. there's an extra quart and a half or so in the neck of a 5g carboy. i'm able to get a full 5g into the keg after taking samples and leaving the cake behind.

Pugilist said:
I racked my boston lager clone to secondary yesterday and during primary it was exactly 5gals. When done racking yesterday it didnt get my 5gal carboy nearly as full and there was a thick yeast cake. Anyone else lose a decent amount of beer into the cake?

Are you doing Full Boils or are you doing Partial and topping off with Water?

I am with Dragger on this one. I calculate my recipe to 5.5 gallons so I have some to lose when transferring. I add another 0.25 gallons if I plan on dry hopping which sucks some beer out too.

I am still trying to figure out why it dissapears so fast once kegged and carbed.:drunk:

My wife think I brew to much, but I am having the same problem. Once kegged, the beer seems to disappear. I'm thinking somebody cut my keg pick up tubes short or something!!

Linc

Latest posts

Back