Disabling Taps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharp63

Reaction score
I'm working on putting together my keg system and have a question regarding disabling the taps. I'm planning on keeping my keggerator outside during the summer, but I'd prefer for a variety of reasons, to not have the taps active at all times.

I've never kegged before, so I'm not entirely sure of how the dispensing system works. If I just shut off the CO2 valve when I'm done for the day, will that pretty much turn off the taps once the CO2 in the keg is spent? If so, how much Co2 stays in the tank, enough for just one glass, or could you pour a couple?

I see that various stores sell tap locks, but I'd prefer not to spend the $40 or so each on the two or three taps I'm planning on having.

Put a lock on the door. When you're done serving beer for the day, disconnect the liquid lines and lock the door.

Disconnecting the CO2 lines is entirely ineffective. Residual pressure will allow quite a few beers to be poured.

The converted freezer I'm using has a lock on it, so that sounds like a pretty reasonable solution. I don't have all the equipment yet, but I'm assuming it's easy to just pop off the liquid disconnect off the keg, right?

I was also considering putting shut off valves on the liquid lines. I'd prefer something easy, as a few people besides myself may want to turn the taps on and off.

You could easily mount shut off valves somewhere convenient, like just inside the door, or even in a locked panel accessible from the outside somewhere if you want to get creative. It really depends on how much more equipment you want to buy, and how much you want to modify the freezer.

Removing the liquid disconnect and replacing them, however, should be easy enough that a child could do it, however, so really the only thing stopping them or anyone else will be the lock.

Back