Disabling auto defrost

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britebeer

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a haier kegerator with auto defrost on it. I have searched here and google and cannot find a thread on it, but I remember seeing somewhere about attaching a timer to the fridge and that will bypass the defrost. Does anyone know how long it has to be unplugged for this to happen?

If you disable the defrost, you are going to get ice buildup and have to manually defrost every 5-6 weeks or so, or else your kegerator isn't going to get very cold.

A fellow brewer and I just had a discussion about this the other night as we're both getting ready to build new kegerators. We'll be using external temperature controllers on the freezers, so the power will be cut and restored to maintain the desired temperature. We were also wondering if this would be bypassing any defrost cycle as the freezer might not be running long enough for the cycle to kick in. My concern was that I had seen where defrost cycles can raise the temperature dramatically and I don't want my beer temp fluctuating that much.

A fellow brewer and I just had a discussion about this the other night as we're both getting ready to build new kegerators. We'll be using external temperature controllers on the freezers, so the power will be cut and restored to maintain the desired temperature. We were also wondering if this would be bypassing any defrost cycle as the freezer might not be running long enough for the cycle to kick in. My concern was that I had seen where defrost cycles can raise the temperature dramatically and I don't want my beer temp fluctuating that much.

Yes,

This is my problem. The defrost raised my beer temp 6+ degrees.

Back