Dirty Siphon/Bottling Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ca_baracus

Reaction score
Hey all, I just bottled my first batch of all grain and while I was underway with the process, I noticed that the siphon/bottling tubing had some residue or a stain of some sort. I had already opened up my fermenter when I noticed this so I didn't think I had time to try to address it properly. I tried to blast it out with a garden hose, but I didn't really notice it getting cleaner. Perhaps it was a permanent stain in the tubing? Anyway, do you think I'm at risk for infection? Everything was sanitized with StarSan.

Not likely. You want to minimize the risk the best that you can but for a finished beer the lack of sugar, high ABV, and HOP oils will prevent most infections.
Acetic acid bacteria is the most dangerous bug you can get at this point, this stuff eats Alcohol and poops acetic acid (vinegar).

Cool. Hopefully it's nothing! Gonna replace my tubing before the next batch regardless.

Back