Dirty Old Man

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golddiggie

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Wyeast London Ale III (1318)
Yeast Starter
2qt
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 64-74F
Tasting Notes
very smooth, with a touch of oak flavor/aroma. Nice malt backbone too
3# Extra Light DME
10# Pale Malt (UK 2 Row)
6oz Caramel 60L
4oz Caramel 80L
4oz Caramel 120L
4oz Chocolate Malt
1oz Northern Brewer (8.00% AA) 30 min
1oz Cascade (7.40% AA) 25 min
1oz Fuggles (4.80% AA) 10 min
1 Whirlfloc tablet 15 min
3/4oz Medium toast French oak chips

Mash for 60-90 minutes at 154F with 14qt
Sparge with 12 quarts water (or balance to get pre-boil volume)

Boil 60 minutes before adding DME, Boil another 30 minutes to first hop addition.

Chill and pitch starter slurry as normal.

Once fermentation is complete, add 3/4oz oak chips. Place chips into sanitized mason jar, boil water (tea kettle) and pour enough to cover chips. Close jar and allow chips to cool to room temp. Once cooled, pitch entire contents of jar into the brew. Let age for 5+ weeks before bottling. IF you wish, you can rack to another vessel for the extra 5+ weeks. OR you can simply do this all in primary.

Prime with 4oz cane sugar and bottle.
Let condition for at least 3 weeks at 70F before chilling one bottle for 4+ days and pouring.

This was my first BIAB batch made. I do plan on making it again using my cooler mash tun, and use oak cubes instead of chips. Either way, this is a solid old ale. ABV comes out to over 8%. I suspect my OG reading was low due to topping off with about 2 quarts and not mixing it fully.

Alter base malt/DME based on your equipment and efficiencies.

First couple of bottles of this had more smoke and light oak flavor to it. Since then, after 4-6 weeks, those flavors have mellowed and you actually get more vanilla flavors from the oak. Still damned good drinking, but has enough kick in it to make you notice. I bottled in 750ml Belgians, and I've needed to share it with at least one other person in order to get through the bottle.

Planning to brew another version of this before too far into June. Plan to age that one on oak cubes to see the difference.

Back