Direct fire temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DsmBrood

Reaction score
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster (after not seeing / finding a discussion on this topic).

I've been all grain for a few years in a cooler & recently upgraded(?) to a 60qt Polarware pot for my mash. I ran my first batch Saturday and was very supprised at how difficult it was to maintain proper mash temp. I've got a false bottom, pump, rotateing sparge arm, running through a counterflow coil chiller, alternating betwee heat and chilling. My temp was all over the map! I was also supprised to find radical temperature diffrences at diffrent areas of the mash. I've got a side port thermometer which gave very diffrent temps than various probes.

Several issues here obiously, but my general question is: what general advice would you give to maintain control steady temp. durring the mash? Stir alot? Constantly? Experiences with thermal lag?

I think my mash in was a bit impatient, so that could certainly help.
Also, I'm thinking about modifying the sparge arme to enlarge the holes to get faster flow though, hopefully increasing the effects of the chiller when needed.

Thanks in advance.

JG

What do you want to accomplish by switching to an uninsulated pot from an insulated cooler? I'd say unless you automate the heat input into the mash with a temperature controller, you'd be much better off with a cooler and much less frustrated.

However, if you still want to use a pot with manual heat input i would first get rid of the cooling cycle. Since ambient air is cooling the pot you don't need too cool it further. To avoid overshooting, put the gas on very low and heat very little. But back to my original point, to get rid of the ambient cooling, insulate the pot, then you won't have to heat it either and you are back to a cooler.

I was wanting to go up to a 10 gal batch, and once I get a handle on the temperature control technique be able to more complex step mashes. & I incorporated the chiller once I WAAAAAY over shot the temp due to thermal lag.

Back