Direct Fire SS Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ace0005

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm upgrading from my cooler mash tun. I will be using a ss MT, with some sort of recirculation to control the temp. I was looking into an electric RIMS system, but now I'm thinking.....
1. What if I recirculate from the pickup under the false bottom, through the pump, into the sparge arm, and back into the mash??
2. Could I maintain my temperature with direct fire to the bottom of the MT, and skip the electric heating element?
3. Can this process be automated?
Thanks for your help in advance.:rockin:

It can be automated at any level of complexity you desire. At its simplest, you could use a simple thermostat controller like a $35 ITC-308 with a 120VAC-24VAC transformer plugged into it and powering a Honeywell furnace valve. The sensor could monitor the liquid in the recirc path or in the MT. You'd have to use a low pressure (<1 psi) burner and regulator. You could probably convert whatever burner you have to LP with a simple orifice change. A PID controller would be more complicated but would provide better control.

image 3 4 combined.jpg

Yes, it's propane. So do I just circulate it at low heat? I know I have to set up some sort of temp. controller, will that adjust the flame?

You may want to crank the heat down a bit. Most gas controllers are simply on/off; a system that would regulate gas flow from low to high would be pretty expensive.

I would use RIMS on a mash tun

That is what we are talking about. Or do you mean to suggest a particular kind of RIMS setup, such as an externally heated, electric RIMS? It's a way to do it but it brings issues, such as cleaning the heat chamber and the increased risk of scorching the wort.

I watched this video about an electric rims... [ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rumklQzB7Vw[/ame]
I really like this setup, and am considering building it when funds become available. For now, I'll use direct fire. I'm also thinking that I'm going to install a 3way ss ball valve inn muy pump's output, so when my mash is done, I can easily transfer it my kettle without disturbing the grain bed too much. Thoughts?

I watched this video about an electric rims... [ame]
I really like this setup, and am considering building it when funds become available. For now, I'll use direct fire. I'm also thinking that I'm going to install a 3way ss ball valve inn muy pump's output, so when my mash is done, I can easily transfer it my kettle without disturbing the grain bed too much. Thoughts?

Did you ever get this set up? I've been contemplating a MLT upgrade, same as yours and am curious to how difficult it is to keep this somewhat accurate.

I’ve toyed with idea of adding 3 way valve to my direct fire mash for some time. Never pulled the trigger as disturbing the grain bed doesn’t seem to be a real issue on my system and I could never figure out a reasonable pathing system that would let me go all the way from dough in to the fermentor without at least some hose changes. Part of that issue is the rotometer I added to mash recirc. It’s not rated for boiling wort and circulating hops plug t up instantly so it must be isolated from the boil and whirlpool.

Anyway I’ve done more that 100 batches with it this way and they come out just fine.

Back