DIPA suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Matt_man

Reaction score
I was thinking of doing a Dogfish Head 90 minute inspired brew this weekend. I mean inspired because I will be following the hop schedule but I am changing the malt around to use what I have. I was thinking of this:

16 lbs Gambrinus Pilsner
1 lbs Victory

I've read that Victory was a substitute for Amber but I'm worried it might be a bit much. Maybe it would be alright in a DIPA though? I also have Wheat Malt that I might throw a half pound in. The rest of my malts that I have lying around and could use with/instead are Honey, C60, Dark Munich, and Roasted Barley. What is everyone's thoughts? Using Columbus, Amarillo, and Simcoe as well as WY1098

mmahu

Reaction score
1 lbs of Victory is OK and twhe additon of Dark Munich. I would however drop the C60 and the roasted barley and only add a bit of Honey malt.

Columbus for bittering and the rest for flameout and dry hopping. Being that you want a Double IPA, the dry hop charge should be at least 4-5-6 oz.

OP
Matt_man

Matt_man

Reaction score
1 lbs of Victory is OK and twhe additon of Dark Munich. I would however drop the C60 and the roasted barley and only add a bit of Honey malt.

Columbus for bittering and the rest for flameout and dry hopping. Being that you want a Double IPA, the dry hop charge should be at least 4-5-6 oz.
Sorry, my first post might have been a bit confusing. The Pilsner and Victory is what I plan on using. Everything else is what I have lying around that I could add to the recipe.

mmahu

Reaction score
In that case, keep the Pilsner Malt, add like 5-10% Victory and some Munich. I would however not add anything else besides that.

I am unsure about Pilsner malt being used in an IPA/DIPA, but I guess it cannot be bad either.

Keep it simple, mash a little higher ( 67-68 degress Celsius ), make sure to give the beer enough bitterness. Dry hop like crazy and ferment cool.

IslandLizard

Progressive Brewing
Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Victory malt and Biscuit malt are similar, but I wouldn't call them a substitute for Amber malt, which is much, much darker, and roastier. Did your DFH 90 recipe call for Amber malt? That sounds like a mistake.

That said, at small amounts Amber malt can be used for color and flavor, but the roastiness will become prominent with larger amounts.

6% Victory may be a little bit much in an IPA, or just right with the lighter flavor and color of the Pilsner malt. A little Munich, C60, or Honey malt can work fine too, just don't add them all, keep it simple.

Here's some good info on those 3 malts.

OP
Matt_man

Matt_man

Reaction score
Victory malt and Biscuit malt are similar, but I wouldn't call them a substitute for Amber malt, which is much, much darker, and roastier. Did your DFH 90 recipe call for Amber malt? That sounds like a mistake.

That said, at small amounts Amber malt can be used for color and flavor, but the roastiness will become prominent with larger amounts.

6% Victory may be a little bit much in an IPA, or just right with the lighter flavor and color of the Pilsner malt. A little Munich, C60, or Honey malt can work fine too, just don't add them all, keep it simple.

Here's some good info on those 3 malts.
I've seen both Victory or Munich called for in DFH 90 clones. I've only had DFH 90 a couple of times so I am unsure which one I should be shooting for.

Having said that I think I might go with this:

86.2% Pilsner
6.2% Victory
6.2% Dark Munich
0.4% Acid (to bring the mash pH to 5.46)

I saw 10% total of either on the HBT super hoppy IPA tips article the other day. I figure if I split the two I should give it a decent malt backbone with a bit more character to contrast with the Pilsner. Great link by the way for helping to determine which does what.