DIPA suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt_man

Reaction score
I was thinking of doing a Dogfish Head 90 minute inspired brew this weekend. I mean inspired because I will be following the hop schedule but I am changing the malt around to use what I have. I was thinking of this:

16 lbs Gambrinus Pilsner
1 lbs Victory

I've read that Victory was a substitute for Amber but I'm worried it might be a bit much. Maybe it would be alright in a DIPA though? I also have Wheat Malt that I might throw a half pound in. The rest of my malts that I have lying around and could use with/instead are Honey, C60, Dark Munich, and Roasted Barley. What is everyone's thoughts? Using Columbus, Amarillo, and Simcoe as well as WY1098

1 lbs of Victory is OK and twhe additon of Dark Munich. I would however drop the C60 and the roasted barley and only add a bit of Honey malt.

Columbus for bittering and the rest for flameout and dry hopping. Being that you want a Double IPA, the dry hop charge should be at least 4-5-6 oz.

1 lbs of Victory is OK and twhe additon of Dark Munich. I would however drop the C60 and the roasted barley and only add a bit of Honey malt.

Columbus for bittering and the rest for flameout and dry hopping. Being that you want a Double IPA, the dry hop charge should be at least 4-5-6 oz.

Sorry, my first post might have been a bit confusing. The Pilsner and Victory is what I plan on using. Everything else is what I have lying around that I could add to the recipe.

In that case, keep the Pilsner Malt, add like 5-10% Victory and some Munich. I would however not add anything else besides that.

I am unsure about Pilsner malt being used in an IPA/DIPA, but I guess it cannot be bad either.

Keep it simple, mash a little higher ( 67-68 degress Celsius ), make sure to give the beer enough bitterness. Dry hop like crazy and ferment cool.

Victory malt and Biscuit malt are similar, but I wouldn't call them a substitute for Amber malt, which is much, much darker, and roastier. Did your DFH 90 recipe call for Amber malt? That sounds like a mistake.

That said, at small amounts Amber malt can be used for color and flavor, but the roastiness will become prominent with larger amounts.

6% Victory may be a little bit much in an IPA, or just right with the lighter flavor and color of the Pilsner malt. A little Munich, C60, or Honey malt can work fine too, just don't add them all, keep it simple.

Here's some good info on those 3 malts.

Victory malt and Biscuit malt are similar, but I wouldn't call them a substitute for Amber malt, which is much, much darker, and roastier. Did your DFH 90 recipe call for Amber malt? That sounds like a mistake.

That said, at small amounts Amber malt can be used for color and flavor, but the roastiness will become prominent with larger amounts.

6% Victory may be a little bit much in an IPA, or just right with the lighter flavor and color of the Pilsner malt. A little Munich, C60, or Honey malt can work fine too, just don't add them all, keep it simple.

Here's some good info on those 3 malts.

I've seen both Victory or Munich called for in DFH 90 clones. I've only had DFH 90 a couple of times so I am unsure which one I should be shooting for.

Having said that I think I might go with this:

86.2% Pilsner
6.2% Victory
6.2% Dark Munich
0.4% Acid (to bring the mash pH to 5.46)

I saw 10% total of either on the HBT super hoppy IPA tips article the other day. I figure if I split the two I should give it a decent malt backbone with a bit more character to contrast with the Pilsner. Great link by the way for helping to determine which does what.

Back