Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luis.salas

Reaction score
Hi, guys. I'm making my own bottling bucket with a dip tube but now I'm worried with the possibility that it will suck all the sediments into the last bottles, since it almost touches the ground of the bucket. Is this possible? Or there's a strange physical principle that will stop the semi-solids (the sediments) allowing to pass the liquid (the beloved cider or country wine). I'm really new in brewing so I'd appreciate your help.

Well, the key really is not to get a lot of yeasty trub in the bucket, as it's going to mix and won't settle very quickly, kinda making dip tube height moot.
Otherwise, if you can rotate the dip tube to raise the tip a 1/4-1/2" from its lowest point that should get you through just fine...

Cheers! (and welcome to the forums at HBT! :mug: )

You rack only perfectly clear wine or cider into the bottling bucket, quietly without any splashing. When you rack, you leave the sediment behind.

So, you won't have sediment in your bottling bucket at all to worry about. If you do, you're attempting to bottle way too soon.

Unless you let the bottling bucket sit for an extended period of time, any solids should remain suspended and be transferred into the bottles. Clear beer depends on good siphoning technique from the fermenter. Keep the pickup tube ( say the bottom of the autosiphon for instance) an inch or so from the bottom of the bucket. As you approach the trub, geeeently tilt the fermenter to keep the pickup from drawing air. As you do so, watch the transfer tube. When you see sediment rising up the tube, quickly pull the transfer tube up to break the siphon and return the sediment to the fermenter for disposal

The OP is talking about cider and wine, and even though beer is bottled in a similar fashion, wine isn't bottled until you can read a newspaper through it so there is very little issue with any sediment in the bottling bucket (or bottles).

Back