Diminishing hop flavor in my IPA.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethP

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Made NB's Black IPA extract kit and it really is awesome but the great hop flavor is starting to fade after about 10 days in the keg. It's still really good but nowhere near as fresh and hoppy as it was in the first 3-5 days. I dry hopped in a nylon mesh bag in the secondary for 6 days.

I'm thinking about next time dry hopping in the keg, how effective is that and whats down side? For some reason I'm worried about having that bag floating around in there for 2+ weeks.

I would have the same issue if I had bottled right?

What do you guys do?

It's still been my best brew yet!

you could always add another dry hop to the keg to freshen it up. Tie a small string to the hop bag and you can remove it when you want

^ Yep. Just be ready with the lid if the keg is anywhere near full - it really foams up with all those new nucleation sites. Dental floss works pretty well to suspend and still get a seal.
I've had times where the bag stayed in for the duration with no issues and times I've had to pull it for getting a little grassy.

Back