diluting wort pre-boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glorifiedbusdriver

Reaction score
I was making a 4 gallon batch of pilsner (the big carboy won't fit in the freezer) a few days ago and ended up with less preboil volume than I wanted. I ended up with only 5 gallons and I know my boil off rate would make me end with about 3.75 so I added one quart of water before I boiled. Is there any problem with that? Post boil was right at 4 gallons and OG was exactly what I wanted. Thanks.

Charlie

I was making a 4 gallon batch of pilsner (the big carboy won't fit in the freezer) a few days ago and ended up with less preboil volume than I wanted. I ended up with only 5 gallons and I know my boil off rate would make me end with about 3.75 so I added one quart of water before I boiled. Is there any problem with that? Post boil was right at 4 gallons and OG was exactly what I wanted. Thanks.

Charlie
I dont see any issues with it, but you would have to wonder why you were short a gallon on your preboil amount, did you drain the tun completely? Did you use the right amount of sparge water? Just something to think about, Im sure the beer will be fine though, good luck on your future brews.:mug:

In an ideal world you wouldn't have to top off but well this is the real word. Your better off adding it if you hit your og after mixing it in well.

ok this is the lesson I have learned:
I batch sparge and use beersmith for my calculations for sparge amount.
From now on I will add an additional amount (maybe .5 or 1 gallon) of extra sparge water then just stop when I reach my pre-boil amount.

Thanks.

Charlie

Back