Diluting wort for gravity reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dclubb83

Reaction score
Ok, correct me if my logic is wrong here.. But if I'm trying to take a gravity reading, but use less wort, couldn't I theoretically take a 50/50 wort/water solution, and multiply the gravity by 2?

I brewed my first batch (one gallon) and already missed my post boil volume because my boil off was waayyyy more than I thought, and between that, trub loss, and gravity readings already done, I'm probably down to about 90oz.

Make sure your test jar and hydrometer are sanitized and dump the sample back in the fermenter.

I don't know how equally it would cut the gravity especially after fermentation has started and there's X amount of alcohol in the wort.

You could do that, but why not do what you'll likely be doing when you start all grain brewing If you're not using kits and have graduated to doing your own recipes, just increase the batch size to make up for your losses. You could also add a bit of extra extract to a kit do the same.

Assuming you're doing 5 gallon batches, the loss of a sample for checking gravity is small unless you're one of the impatient people who feels the need to do it every day or 2. Just get used to giving fermentation 3 weeks before a gravity reading. At that time it'll usually be done and your volume losses will be minimal.

Just noticed you're doing 1 gallon batches. Just my opinion, but at that scale, just chalk your losses up to research, you will be brewing expansive beer.

...yes, if you're careful with your volumes, you can multiply the gravity of your diluted sample and should come up with the right number – gravity points scale the way you'd expect them to. You'll lose a little accuracy, since what would've been a one-point difference will only be half a point, which will be hard to pick up, given most hydrometers are only marked every two points.

I'd be careful with dumping your samples back in – you're risking less with just half a gallon instead of five gallons to save four ounces, but it's still just a third of a beer per sample.

Latest posts

Back