Diluted Iodophor solution question.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erw128

Reaction score
I want to sanitize my bottle to make a starter, so I was wondering if I made 5 gallons of diluted Iodophor concentrate today (1 tbsp per 5 gals), would it still be effective in a few days? Anybody know if there is a certain amount of time the iodophor can be diluted before it ceases to sanitize? Thanks.

I want to sanitize my bottle to make a starter, so I was wondering if I made 5 gallons of diluted Iodophor concentrate today (1 tbsp per 5 gals), would it still be effective in a few days? Anybody know if there is a certain amount of time the iodophor can be diluted before it ceases to sanitize? Thanks.

It does break down over time. A couple of days is probably the outside, I personally would make up a new batch each day.

Iodophor has a short life when mixed. I'd use it the same day.

It is almost never necessary to mix up 5gal of any sanitizer, BTW. Make a gallon or so (3ml of iodophor) and put some in a spray bottle. Leave enough in a bucket so you can slosh your starter vessel, stoppers/airlock/foil/whatever around in it.

9. Testing Strips

if you really want to be sure - they sell test strips. I got some from a coupon giveaway but have yet to bother as I just mix and use. The stuff is pretty cheap when you consider tossing an infected batch of beer.

For iodophor, I typically mix a gallon at a time in a milk jug. IIRC, it's like 3ml > Gallon. Go to he drug store and get a plastic syringe that has .5 ml increments. It literally takes seconds to prepare, and makes it last a lot longer.

Back