Dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandyeggoxj

Reaction score
I was at the lhbs recently and I was seeing what they had in stock for 2-row in bulk. On some of the 50# paper sacks there was definite blood. It looked like whoever handle the sacks of grain was bleeding from somewhere. They all had the blood on them but just spots. I would say somewhere around a few square inches total.

So what would you do?? Is it an issue? I know that everything boils for a long time but whoever buys the bags will handle the outside of the bags. I am at a crossroad on what to do.

If I were you, I'd mention it to them. There's a chance they got it like that and never noticed it, or maybe a worker did it and never told anyone. If they take it seriously and take it off the shelves, than keep doing business with them. If they blow it off, take your business elsewhere. Whether it is boiled or not is not the issue. Bodily fluids should not be on something for human consumption. Plus, I don't know about you, but I often munch on grains as I'm milling. Maybe I'm just weird like that though. lol

On the outside of the bag - I would not worry too much about it. There are plastic layers in those bags. Might not hurt to ask for a discount. (I wouldn't).

I would not handle the bag without disposable gloves and if I got it I would transfer the grain to buckets right away. Then carefully dispose of the bag.

I remember reading a thread recently where someone was looking to make some "Dexter" inspired brews...

Dexter, as in real human blood?! Weird. Joking aside, I did see that thread. Seemed like a fun theme.

Well, contacted the shop. They didn't really care about what I had to say. Their attitude really concerns me. I am probably making a bigger deal out of it than it should be, but if they aren't looking out for customers on this little thing what else are they hiding? They already have poor QA on the weights of stuff they package in-house.

It sucks because I have a poor selection of lhbs where I am at. It is a lot of push back for a grand total of maybe $160 (retail, no less) worth of 2 row.

I am pretty familiar with blood and how it looks smeared on various things. You could say that I am good at finding opportunities to do this. It usually involved knuckles and engines, axles, and other car parts.

Blood soaked grains......
sounds like a good way to get A.I.D.S.
would you eat chinese take out out of a bloody sack?
why would you make beer out of one.
it sounds like they blew you off
return the favor
buy your homebrew supplies elsewhere.

Back