Digital thermometers in Thermowells

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holter

Reaction score
Quick question. I'm upgrading my system and I thought I had this part figured out, but now I am not so sure.

Im going to use a variation of the Lonnie Mac tee fitting with quick disconnects to check temperatures while I am recirculating my mash through my HERMS coil, but I am not upgrading my system to the point where I will need any sort of automation. I purchased two Taylor thermometers at Target. The reason I purchased the particular model I chose was because it had the option to calibrate the thermometer, it came with a built in timer and it has alarms set for temperatures.

The part I hadn't thought through and I am now regretting is that the digital thermometers have a probe that has a much smaller diameter than the thermowell has. Is this even going to work? If not what does everyone else use with thermowells if you don't have any automation?

Thanks in advance!

You can fill the thermowell with some water or, if you're really ambitious, use some thermal putty. So long as you get good contact, it should work fine.

Back