Digital Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thermopen..

Reads fast and accurate. A little pricey but I use it in the kitchen for cooking probably more than I use it for brewing. It gets a lot of use. I went through several thermometers that just crappe dout on me over the years. The Thermopen just plain works.

Imo its a no brainer. Over 1700 postive reviews on amazon, cheap, and durable, the cdn is the way to go or the thermapen based on reviews I have read here. The fact bobby sells it at brewhardware should tell you something, he pretty much only offers the best. I think I paid like 12 dollars and got it 2 days later with prime shipping. It is really nice compared to all the pieces of s..t I have used from the grocery store.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it depends on what you are going to be using it for, and how you will be using it.

Are you looking to do spot checks thru the brew day? One that you can leave in the kettle or mash tun?

thermopen..

Reads fast and accurate. A little pricey but i use it in the kitchen for cooking probably more than i use it for brewing. It gets a lot of use. I went through several thermometers that just crappe dout on me over the years. The thermopen just plain works.

x2

I think it depends on what you are going to be using it for, and how you will be using it.

Are you looking to do spot checks thru the brew day? One that you can leave in the kettle or mash tun?

That's why I prefer the second one I posted above. I do BIAB and during the mash, the thermometer goes thru a hole in the kettle lid to monitor mash temp. Same thing while chilling. When bringing to a boil I can clip it to the side of the kettle and know when it's getting close to boiling. Much more practical for me than standing there holding a thermometer to get a temp, or having to pull the lid off during the mash and letting heat out. Plus it's made in USA vs the digital Chinese junk.

Back