Digital Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happypanties

Reaction score
I bought this after seeing some pics from brewers on this site that use similar equipment.

Walmart.com: AcuRite Digital Meat Thermometer with Removable Stand, 00994W: Kitchen & Dining

There is a warning on the package that says not to submit the probe in water. I am doing a test with my stockpot and it appears to be within 2 degrees F of my other two thermometers.

Is this going to be a problem for measuring my mash temperature? Should I ignore the warning? Do other models have the same warning?

Your main concern would be not getting the top of the probe, where it connects to the chord, under the liquid. I ruined my similar digital thermometer probe that way although you can sometimes find a replacement probe. I wouldn't worry about sticking most of the probe under liquid.

I have that exact same one. Actually on the second. Returned the first. Submersing it would definitely be a problem. Even without submersing it, the probe will go bad after just a few uses unless you make an attempt to protect it. If you search the site you'll find instructions on how to do that. The one I have is dead on in an ice slurry and at boil.

As for a replacement probe as mentioned above, I wasn't able to find one. If anyone know of a source I'd love to hear it.

Latest posts

Back