digital thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnbrewer371

Reaction score
just purchased the taylor 9842 (i think) waterproof digital instant read commercial thermometer just wondering if any brewers out there have any experience with this piece of equipment and can attest to its positives, negatives, and accuracy? thanks guys!:rockin:

This is the one I use. They aren't very water proof, just so you know. I'm on my second (first lasted year and a half). I don't currently have a thermometer on my boiling pot and use a hanger with the thermometer to check the cooling wort's progress. I guess steam got into the battery compartment and that was all she wrote. But I loved the thing so much because it was accurate and could be calibrated, that I bought two more from Amazon. Take care of it and it'll take care of you.

this is the exact thermometer I use. Aside from the big-ass temp probe I use with my PID, it is the most accurate thermometer I own. (edit: I did have to calibrate it to correct a 1.2*F error that it had right out of the box, but calibrating is simple on that thing.)

And mine has proven to be very water proof. I have (twice) dropped it into a kettle full of HOT water and spent about 5 to 10 minutes trying to fish it out with BBQ tongs. It still works great.

nice thanks for the feedback! got mine in the mail today and calibrated it using the ice bath method they say in the instructions and got it dialed in to 31.8F in the ice bath so figured that was close enough, just hoping that its okay to stick the thing down in the HLT as it heats and down in the mash to check temps? second poster got me worried about the steam aspect? have you had to calibrate it again since the first time? have you checked its accuracy against anything else?

nice thanks for the feedback! got mine in the mail today and calibrated it using the ice bath method they say in the instructions and got it dialed in to 31.8F in the ice bath so figured that was close enough, just hoping that its okay to stick the thing down in the HLT as it heats and down in the mash to check temps? second poster got me worried about the steam aspect? have you had to calibrate it again since the first time? have you checked its accuracy against anything else?

if you leave it in heavy steam for a while, it does get a little crazy, but will get back to normal eventually (at least mine did).

The times I dropped it in the water, it came out pretty non-functional. But, after letting it dry, it worked fine.

I just recently re-calibrated mine because I *thought* it was reading badly. I was comparing it to my floating glass thermometer and the two were not agreeing.

I use ice water to check for 32*F and then boiling water to check for 212*F. During the re-calibration, I found that the thing was off by only 0.1*F, but the damn glass thermometer was off by about 4*F!

so, I really didn't need to calibrate it again, but I did anyway.

Yeah, I'm talking prolonged abuse made the first one die. My fault and not the products. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought another....

Back