Digital Temp Reader question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LS_Grimmy

Reaction score
Howdy,

Just did a double batch today... well on the finishing end of the last one that is. I use both my analog and digital temp reader at the same time for my mash. I find my digial reader jumps around a lot depending on were I insert it. Move it to the left a bit or a little deeper and it jumps up like 10F then I move it to another spot and it changes again. Usually what I do is stir the hell of it and insert it in the middle and go off that.

Anyone have the same issues... I guess I generally try to find a spot were my analog and digital readers are the same

Any info would be much appreciated

Cheers,
Marc

The digital read out reacts quicker than the the analog. I'd bet the analog would move if it was given a chance...but with the swirling mash, it won't have a chance to adjust. The floating analog thermometers have a little bit of mass that will effect the reading...the little BBs in it for weight, and the glass case it is in. These will give the analog a bit of thermal lag in the reading.
I have a digital with a probe that is rubber coated. The coating slows down the reaction time. So, my analog changes quicker than the digital.

Back