Digital Temp Controller Probe Diameter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering making my own thermal well out of some stainless tubing.

Considering the choice of tubing is important.. :) .. I need to know the diameter of the probes. I'm sure they are quite small in diameter compared to the analog units with the big liquid filled bulbs.

Thanks... Bill

Which digital temp controller are you going to be buying? They have different probe sizes and shapes. The probes for the love controllers are 1/4" diameter IIRC. I think the ranco is about the same. The STC-1000 is kinda oblong, and I think it's slightly less than 3/16" by slightly less than 1/4". The probe for the single stage unit similar to the STC-1000 is just under 1/8".

Thanks for the info.. I ordered the 110v STC-1000. One thing I'm wondering is if one can attach the probe to the END of a copper or ss tube with something like JB Weld and have the wires going thru the tube.. That way there will be no issue with the lag time if the probe is not a good enough fit.

Thoughts?? I really like the way JBW works and it's supposed to be non-toxic once cured.. as long as you don't eat it.. I don't see a problem. Even so.. it's not supposed to be bad.

So.. now the question is............ BUMP... can the tip be attached to the end of a tube and actually be in the wort? OR, does it have to be enclosed in a thermowell???

Anyone??

I don't see a problem with your plan. It does make it a fairly permanent install though, and I like the ability to pull the probes from my thermowell and use my controller for other things, like my smoker or doing sous vide. And FWIW replacement probes are pretty cheap, so you could buy extras, or simply some nice round SS ones to replace the oblong rubber one that comes with the STC-1000. And if you're worried about lag time from a loose fit, you can use a little thermal paste in the tip of the thermowell.

Thanks for being patient with me JM.. I didn't see a place to purchase extra probes.. much less a SS version. BTW, thermal paste.. I remember seeing that when I worked at HP.. but, where do you get it..?? Radio Shack ??

BTW, gandered at your Keezer Soze.. very nice.. How much temp loss do you think you get in your serving lines between pours.. say your first pour of the day?

HbgBill said:
Thanks for being patient with me JM.. I didn't see a place to purchase extra probes.. much less a SS version. BTW, thermal paste.. I remember seeing that when I worked at HP.. but, where do you get it..?? Radio Shack ??

BTW, gandered at your Keezer Soze.. very nice.. How much temp loss do you think you get in your serving lines between pours.. say your first pour of the day?

Any NTC thermistor with 10k ohm resistance will work for the sensor. Emjay just posted a link to a nice SS one in the other thread. It even has NPT threads so you can simply screw it into a female fitting without the need for a thermowell.

I've only bought thermal paste a couple times, and got it at a local electronics supply store. I'd guess that radio shack probably carries it. If not I'd check with local computer parts stores.

Thanks for the compliment on the keezer. I've never measured the temp differential between the main compartment and the tower. For a long time I would just pour a half pint of foam and dump it at the start of every drinking session, but now I have a muffin fan that blows cold air through the tower. The first pour still has a little more head from the faucet being a little warm, but it's barely noticeable.

Back