Digital Refractometer - worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So i'm considering getting a digital refractometer - its easy for the SWMBO to use when i'm not around, and it has a wide range that will cover distilled water through honey. Is it worth picking one up (I've seen them around $110), or just buy another dual SG/Brix manual refractometer?

BTW - i'm not going to use the savings on something else, so this isn't a question of whether I should safe the cash. It's specifically around the utility of digital vs. manual. I have six 3 gallon batches of mead, 2-3 batches of kit wine, and a beer to brew in the next 2 weeks - whatever I buy will get a lot of use very quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

The manual ones are really easy to use. I don't see the need to spend the extra cash. And you are going to use the savings on something else, unless your plan is to set the difference on fire.

The manual ones are really easy to use. I don't see the need to spend the extra cash. And you are going to use the savings on something else, unless your plan is to set the difference on fire.

Have manual ones and are familiar - Just want to focus on "digital are great because they give you xyz features that you can't do with a manual," or "if you're doing the following applications, digital is worth it - if not, it's a waste."

Since homebrewers are naturally a thrifty and maximizing lot, i want to avoid the "well this costs x and that costs y, so ..."

Or to put it another way, cash is not a deciding factor at under $120.00,

OK - found some data that seems a little outdated based on price, but seems to apply.

Digital Pros:
- Much faster reading (better for multiple samples)
- Significantly better accuracy
- More convenient (don't have to hold to face, just drop and go, etc)
- May have a better range (e.g. 0-80 vs 0-25 brix)

Digital Cons:
- Higher price (2x-3x)
- May need professional recalibration (expensive/inconvenient)
- Results can be thrown off by bright ambient light
- Require Batteries/power source

The biggest gotcha for me is the professional recalibration. Ignoring the substitution of a hydrometer, I'd need to keep BOTH an analog and a digital refractometer on hand. That makes it a deal breaker for me (at least until I set up a full home lab).

Since homebrewers are naturally a thrifty and maximizing lot

Have you seen the cash homebrewers are dropping on conicals and electric brewing panels? We're thrifty to a point, then it all goes out the window.

Back