Different yeast same batch ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Len_Andov

Reaction score
Greetings all.

I started a 5g batch of Joes Ancient Orange last weekend. My third mead. Recipe and technique later.

I used a three pack strip of Fleischmans. My first 1g batch of JAO, same yeast, was weak compared to the 5g batch I made using Lalvin champaign yeast. The Lalvin yielded a much higher ABV.

My question is this:
Can I safely pitch Lalvin into the secondary without spoiling the batch by some form of competition or other negative interaction? I intended to add more fermentables at secondary racking and Lalvin plus yeast nutrient.

Second question:
If I keep adding fermentables can I ever kill the yeast and end up with a strong, sweet but drinkable product ? I used heat for my cider to sweeten without bottle bombs. Could for the mead. Just wondering if eventually the ABV could kill the yeast, eliminate bottle carbing/bombs, and yield a sweetish mead? Or would it taste like hooch?

Thanx
-A-

14# honey
Approx 1/2 gallon raisins
5g distilled water
3-pack Fleischmans yeast

2g fridge 24 hours

3g to boil remove from heat and whisk in the honey
Return to slightly boiling
Add raisins
Boiled 30 minutes

2g cold water in primary carboy.
Used bottling bucket to recieve wort (must?)
Spigot on very slow, so raisins don't clog it, into carboy for aeration.
No raisins in primary.
Halfway thru pitched activated yeast.
Stopper with blowoff tube wrapped in blanket to block light.
Bubbles after 4 hours. Steady after 12 hours.

Secondary:
10 oranges, peeled and segmented, vodka soaked prior, in a muslin sock.
4lbs honey
Heaping spoon of nutmeg
Heaping spoon allspice

If you really want the higher ABV then sure you can add some lalvin k1v-1116 yeast and it will ferment the mead further of stalled, you can also step feed honey 1lb at a time until fermentation stops, then you add honey to desired sweetness/gravity. But if you are doing that then get ready for the long haul because a mead like that with your current process and ingredients, this may take 18-24 months before it really starts tasting good.

The bread yeast should get this mead to the 12% mark give or take a little. Plus you actually had much less honey in the primary as you would a traditional JOAM. A true JOAM would have closer to 17.5lb of honey in the primary. This means your yeast should ferment fairly well, may actually ferment down to a gravity of 1.00, and if so you can probably still step feed honey until the yeast peters out.

It is a little up in the air since the recipe was altered pretty drastically. There may not be enough nutrients in the primary without the raisins, oranges/orange peels/spices in there. So your yeast may already struggle and put out hot fusel alcohols and die off too early leaving a really low ABV. Let us know how the ferment goes and add any smell/tasting/gravity notes and many can try and help from there.

View attachment 308867

So I've never had anything finnish close to 1 and I'm surprised because this looks like 0.085!

I sampled during bottling and it's quite dry yet with a sweet flavor not taste. The spices transferred well during secondary and thrimary. Is that a word? But they settled out and almost no physical material in the bottles.

I split this batch and bottled 24 ez-caps; dry.

Next I put the remaining on the stove and brought it up to just before boiling- heavy steam and no sound reduction when I stirred it. Next I boiled 4 cups of sugar in a quart of filtered water with 4 spoons of citric acid (canning aide). The result was a DELICIOUS sweet tart which is immediately drinkable with pleasant nose, mouthfeel, and aftertaste.

I'm so pleased this turned out well. My friends and family are looking forward to it this holiday season.

I think any residual yeast should have been heated to death. But just in case I'm keeping them in a rubber made.

Thanx all.
-A-

Back