Different Types of Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torilen

Reaction score
Is there a good source for different types of yeast? So far, I have only used Redstar Pure Cuvee. I am looking to use something different, perhaps, just not sure what.
Basically, I am looking for two things:
1 - How do different yeasts change the flavor of what you are brewing (beer and/or wine)
2 - How do different yeasts handle ABV.

If no one knows a good source for this info...can someone briefly spell it out for me?

If it helps, here are some things that I am either brewing now or plan to brew in the future:
- Ginger beer (pretty much straight ginger, water, sugar, and a bit of lemon juice...no hops or grain)
- Coffee wine
- Gingerbread beer (ginger water, a lot of molasses, honey, sugar, some sort of grain, a touch of hops)
- Grape wine (from grape juice)
- Hard Cider (from apple juice)
- Hard Lemonade (if I can find an easy recipe that will work)

Thanks a lot in advance.
Matthew

There is TONNES of different kinds of yeast out there that do tonnes of different things and Eat different kinds of sugars. if you are just looking for a bullet proof yeast to do everything on your list, that wont impart any specific flavors and will attenuate and flocculate nicely, go with a basic Dry Yeast. Nottingham or US-05 for the beer stuff and Lavlin EC-1118 Wine Yeast for the wine stuff.
Definitely if you want to get into this hobby though you should start reading more on how yeast works to get to know the flavors you can get from them and the environment they thrive in.
a good source for picking Yeasts is https://byo.com/resources/yeast
Good Luck and BRew on!

Back