Different Strains of yeast, will it work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iR Polly

Reaction score
I've been brewing since January made a few average brews, a few good brews and one total failure. The yeasts I've used was always those supplied with the recipe and never deviated.

But I've been wondering what would happen If you were to combine a Lager and an Ale yeast in the same batch?
Would the one work and the other loaf due to temps, since lagers are slower and like lower temps and ales faster and higher temps?
Or would it produce off flavors?
Would the flocculation effects still hold?

Depends what temp you would be fermenting. If the ale and lager temp ranges overlap at some point and you ferment at that temp you would be ok. If not I would pick one or the other. Honestly I would use either the ale or lager yeast and not both. No sense in complicating things.

They actually have some commercial examples of yeast blends like you describe. The one I use a lot is wlp080, the cream ale variety from white labs that has lager and ale yeast. I also like using Cry Havoc, the yeast developed by Charlie Papazian.

I would try it and see what you get.

Back