Different recipe vs manufacturer yeast instructions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjnowak

Reaction score
I plan on brewing my first ever home brew this Sunday of Dead Ringer IPA. I plan on using Wyeast 1056

The instructions state, "A FEW DAYS BEFORE BREWING DAY - 1. Remove the liquid Wyeast pack from the refrigerator, and “smack” as shown on the back of the yeast package. Leave it in a warm place (70–80° F) to incubate until the pack begins to inflate."
The instructions on the Wyeast 1056 states that it only needs to be taken out 3 hours prior to use.

I'm wondering which of the two directions I should follow, or is there some sort of combination (say where I take it out 1 day in advance). I'm basically just trying to make sure I don't muck up this first batch and want to know what the optimal time to take it out and break the pack is. Thanks!

Here is the recipe: http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/DeadRingerIPA.pdf

Without getting too complicated: if you are going to pitch just the one smack pack, follow the wyeast package directions. Smack, let sit for a few hours, pitch.

I didn't read through the full instructions, but what the other method seems like they are describing is the process of making what's called a yeast starter. The OG of this ipa is 1.064, a moderately high gravity. This means more sugars for the yeast to consume. One smack pack doesn't have enough yeast in it to properly consume that much sugar (therefore we call this underpitching or pitching too few yeast). Underpitching can "stress" the yeast and lead to off flavors or poor fermentation. To build up the quantity of yeast, most brewers using liquid yeast (like in the smack pack) make a starter to increase the cell count to an appropriate number to improve the outcome. Starters need to be made a few days in advance, thus the second set of instructions which talks about swelling the pack days ahead of brew day. Search the fermentation thread stickies for more on starters and how to make them.

I always like to recommend doing things right the first time, so I'd encourage you to make a starter for this beer. You could probably get decent results from just the smack pack, but there is a bit more risk for stressed yeast. Many people, especially on first big brews will just pitch 2 packs of yeast if not confident/don't want to make starters. Hope this helps'

Okay, after looking into it, a starter seems like a good idea. I'm going out of town for a night and would have no one to watch my starter. My question is this: Would it be better to make it and let it sit 30hrs before I'm going to use it? Or should I make it that morning and let it go for about 6hrs?

Six hours won't make much difference. I rarely make starters... I'm kinda lazy sometimes... So I would smack it when you start your brew day and then pitch when the wort gets to the appropriate temp. Good luck, and welcome! And as always, Relax don't worry, and have a homebrew

tjnowak said:
My question is this: Would it be better to make it and let it sit 30hrs before I'm going to use it? Or should I make it that morning and let it go for about 6hrs?

Between those choices, 30 hours.

30 hours would be better than 6. I just swell the pack first thing on brewday for OG's of 1.04X to 1.05X. A 1.064 should have a starter. I have a 1,000mL Erlymmeyer flask I do 800mL of boiled water to which I add 1/4C of plain light DME. Pour in the liquid yeast,& any nutrient packs in the activator packs. A couple days usually works well. The night before brewday,refridgerate it to get it to settle out. Brewday,take it out to warm up to room temp while brewing. Decant most of the liquid,leaving just enough to mix up the slurry to pitch it.

Back