Different question about secondaries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gator_brewer

Reaction score
Ok, I know the pro's to using a secondary, and that you don't need one... etc etc etc, but I have this question:

I recently decided to make Apfelwein in my secondary, so I don't have one open. I want to keep aging (read as don't have enough empty bottles :D ) the ale in my primary, should I just let it sit, or should I rack it to my bottling bucket, clean out the primary, and rack it back in? Or does it matter?

Ok, I know the pro's to using a secondary, and that you don't need one... etc etc etc, but I have this question:

I recently decided to make Apfelwein in my secondary, so I don't have one open. I want to keep aging (read as don't have enough empty bottles :D ) the ale in my primary, should I just let it sit, or should I rack it to my bottling bucket, clean out the primary, and rack it back in? Or does it matter?

I've let my ales sit in the primary for 3-4 weeks without issue. How long are you planning on letting it sit? That would probably determine if you should rack. The problem with the re-rack back into the bucket might be headspace. If the beer is done fermenting, it's ok in the bucket because of the co2 in the headspace. But if you rack, then rack back into the bucket, you're exposing the beer to oxygen and some headspace. If you're going to rack, I'd go ahead and bottle it.

It's been sitting about 2 1/2 weeks right now, and I can't bottle do to a lack of empty bottles (only have about 20, so it's not an easy one night problem to fix) I'm hoping to have enough bottles next weekend or the weekend after.

It's been sitting about 2 1/2 weeks right now, and I can't bottle do to a lack of empty bottles (only have about 20, so it's not an easy one night problem to fix) I'm hoping to have enough bottles next weekend or the weekend after.

Oh, if it's going to be in the next week or two, I'd leave it sit right where it is. That way, you're not exposing it to oxygen or any chance of infection. If you're thinking longer, you may want to use your bottling bucket as the secondary for a temporary fix (as long as you have a lid and an airlock hole).

Back