Different kinds of yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EuDvine

Reaction score
I've been using Lalvin D-47 for my meads and I'm wondering how much differences it can make simply using a different kind of yeast like Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast like what I used in some cider? And then there are Ale yeasts and yeasts people use in beer...Is it just a whole trial-and-error thing to figure out what you like best? How do I choose between all the yeast out there?
So far I like it when my mead turns out dry. I had a couple batches finish at 1.012 and I thought they were too sweet. So are there some yeasts that finish dry and some that finish sweet, or is it all random? I'm a noob if you haven't noticed already :p

If you read Ken Schramm's "Complete Meadmaker" book, he lists a bunch of the common wine yeasts used for mead, and gives suggestions on what yeasts are appropriate for what type of mead. Also, the yeasts vary with respect to alcohol tolerance.

The chart in Ken's book is really good. A lot of us really like 71B for many meads, especially darker melomels (I just tried it for a metheglin, so I'll let you know...), but my "go to" yeast for meads still remains the Wyeast Dry Mead strain...it's just a good all-around yeast, a steady fermenter with a high tolerance. I tend to like dry meads, so it's good for me as it will take all but the highest OG's dry.

I have had some nice results with WLP 715 Champagne. It's a beast and will eat every bit of sugar. A year old melomel I used 715 with has become a magnificent treat.

The WLP 720 Sweet Mead produces a sweeter result (duh) with some fruity notes.

Back