Different Juices for Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweeps

Reaction score
Hey all,

Still a novice here. A while back I made some of Edwort's Apfelwein and loved it because it was so simple to make. So on that note, I was wondering, could I substitute the apple juice for another type of juice and get the same result with a different flavor? Or go half and half? How does that work?

Just make sure juice is free from prservatives. Some will argue that cider is apple others are wines, but I am not one of them.

When I look at the juice aisle, honey section, or fruit display all I see are fermentables :/

Do I have a problem?

Experimentation is what it is all about. Done properly - there is not a lot that can go wrong as long as you follow the rules and the juice you buy isn't loaded with chemicals that will inhibit your yeast. Fermentation is fermentation. Analyse every thing you do before you do it and take notes. Then let us all know. Salut

Last edited:
So I have a not-apple juice with a SG of 1.080. If I do everything as if I were making cider, will I just end up with high alcohol content and therefore "wine"? Do I need to worry about the low acidity of my juice?

So I have a not-apple juice with a SG of 1.080. If I do everything as if I were making cider, will I just end up with high alcohol content and therefore "wine"? Do I need to worry about the low acidity of my juice?
Hey, welcome to the forum!

Ferment it like wine :)

For best results, make sure you understand these topics:
Preservative-free juice (juice selection)
Sanitation
Yeast selection
Nutrients
Aeration
Temperature control
Oxidation prevention
Optional: Fining
Optional: stabilization, sweetening, carbonation

Cheers

seeing as i was expecting to make cider this whole time I only comfortably understand 2/3 of those things. so I will continue reading!

Back