Different Instructions for Wyeast temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I am trying to brew my first solo batch and have come across a problem before even starting. I got a lager kit from a home brew store and with it came Wyeast 2007 Pilsen LGR Propagator The question I have is with the temperatures of creating a starter and then further fermentation.

On the back of the pack it says to pour into the starter at 70F and then maintain 70-75 for the next day and a half. Pour that into your wort and keep that at the same 70 degrees for fermentation.

On the Wyeast website it only says: Temperature Range: 48-56F

(Wyeast Laboratories. Pilsen Lager™ 2007)

I know for a lager it should be on the cold side for fermentation, so I want to go ahead and trust the website and pitch/ferment around 52F. I have already ruined one batch by not properly reading instructions and really dont want to throw out another batch before it even gets to a secondary fermenter. Should I just run with it, or go buy another pack that says the correct temperature range?

Thank you in advance for all thoughts and suggestions.

You can make your lager starters at room temperature so 70-75 would be fine. Your inclination to pitch at 52F is correct. What I do is grow up my starter at room temp and then chill it, decant the beer and then equilibrate the slurry to my pitching temperature and pitch it.

GT

For that yeast you really want to ferment in the 48-56 range which is pretty average for lagers. You are right in your thinking and should go with the website instructions. I assume the directions on the pack are just standard and are printed on all the ale packs as well, in which case it would be fine.

As for the starter you can do that at 70, but typically you will want to decant that since there will probably be quite a bit of ester production. I usually do my lager starters at more like 60 just to keep it within 10F of ferment temps, but if you are decanting it shouldn't matter too much. Unfortunately, those propagator packs contain about 1/4 of the amount of yeast that an activator does and it's going to require a very large starter to get within preferred lager pitching rates.

Thank you for the quick responses, you have subsided my fears (dont you miss being new at this and freaking about everything?).

I have one more question about the starter. I had to make a choice between brewing and heating my home and I chose brewing. Because of this room temperture in my house hasn't reached 60F since last October (hence making a lager). Can I make a starter at this temp or should I let it sit at a neighbors who for some reason likes having feeling in their toes?

...Nevermind. It was late last night when I read the responses and forgot Tonedef said he does his starters at 60. thats works perfectly for me.

Back