Different flavor from same batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerme70

Reaction score
Okay, here's the situation.....now, I want to preface this question with a short background. I have been AG brewing for YEARS......about 20 to be exact. I have an extremely efficient 3 vessel setup, and do 10 gallons at a time. My usual M.O. is to keg 5 gallons and bottle the other 5. So, here's the deal.....I brewed my standard "House" amber ale. I washed, rinsed, and sanitized my keg (oxy-clean, filtered water, and StarSan). I did the same with my bottles in a Norther Brewer 12 bottle bottle washer (20 minute wash, 20 minute rinse, and 20 minute sanitize). I sanitized my bottle caps with a StarSan solution. I used corn sugar to bottle condition, and obviously CO2 for the keg. I have a DEFINITIVE difference in the flavors between the two. The kegged is, obviously, flippin' INCREDIBLE. The bottled, while still really, REALLY good (no, I'm not patting myself on the back.....well, maybe a little ;) ), there is a nuance to it I really can't put my finger on. If I had to describe it, if any of you have ever had, say, a Schaffly's Biere d Garde, there is a slight farmhouse ale "mustiness" to it. Have any of you ever experienced this? I don't think there is any way that the bottled beer is infected, because other than the flavor/smell, there are no signs of an infection (bottle bombs, weird sediment, clarity, or your gross little floaties). Now, this batch was kegged and bottled merely a week ago. The keg is carbed perfectly and pouring great, and the bottles are JUST ABOUT there.

I don't think there is any way that the bottled beer is infected, because other than the flavor/smell, there are no signs of an infection (bottle bombs, weird sediment, clarity, or your gross little floaties).
Unexpected flavor, especially phenolic, could definitely be the result of contamination without any other signs.

I'm also wondering whether oxidation is playing a role.

is there any difference in equipment when you bottle versus keg? even exposure to air COULD be a culprit, though farmhouse funk / mustiness is more of an infection symptom rather than oxidation.

I keg from the fermenter, an SB CF10, with good old gravity......not closed pressure transfer, and I rack the rest into a bottling bucket....sanitized of course........in order to evenly distribute the corn sugar/water (boiled) solution. I have always bottled the same way.

I've always noticed that bottles sampled early on, (I usually try one after 3 days, heresy, I know,) taste not quite right. Is the musty off flavor consistent between bottles?

Perhaps the bottles are aged a bit more? Keg is kept in a cool environment. Bottles are kept at cellar temps?

I've even noticed a difference in kegged beers over time. Ingredients blend in a good way. Unfortunately, by this time, the keg is empty.

Latest posts

Back