Different bottles of the same beer tasting REALLY different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericd

Reaction score
I'm noticing HUGE variation between different bottles of my same beers. No infection off-flavors, but really big difference in the flavor. Like in an IPA i recently brewed, some bottles were really good with nice, caramelly malt flavors and aromatic hoppy nose, and other bottles were just really harshly hoppy.

Why is this happening to me?

Subtle differences in bottling/conditioning environment? My guess is the harsh ones are greener than the "good" ones. Bow long have they been bottled?

Any number of enviromental factors could affect the yeasties in their little brown fermenters (bottles) and the rate it takes them to condition... it could be something simple as a one degree variation in temps...the bottles on one side of the box could be just slightly warmer or cooler than the others...or any number of factors..but nothing wrong...

Bottles size affects it as well...a 12 ouncer will usually be ready at least a week before pint bottle...

No two fermentations are all the same...and since carbonation in a bottle is nothing more than another, albeit mini, fermentation...then the same thing could, and does apply...

They all settle down eventuall.

I'm noticing HUGE variation between different bottles of my same beers. No infection off-flavors, but really big difference in the flavor. Like in an IPA i recently brewed, some bottles were really good with nice, caramelly malt flavors and aromatic hoppy nose, and other bottles were just really harshly hoppy.

Why is this happening to me?

Did you suck up some of the trub at the bottle of the fermenter and it get into your bottling bucket? I'm thinking maybe some hop bits from your secondary dry hopping got into some of you bottles and when you pour the bottle it is putting them into suspension and you are drinking them down. Just a guess.

No...didn't stir and it was whole leaf hops so they couldn't have gone thru the siphon....

if your cases are stacked while conditioning, i am hazarding a guess that if the floor is cool, the bottom ones wont condition as nice as the ones on top....

I used to notice the same thing when I was bottling. Mostly what I would notice is that maybe one every few beers would be outstanding better than the others. Maybe the other ones were stale or something - I never figured it out. I just started kegging instead. Bottles are a pain in the ass.

Are your serving temperatures consistent? I've noticed with my Octoberfest that at my fridge temp it tastes really perfect. But if I keep it in the basement the flavors tend to taste more burnt and a little harsh. It's less than 5 degrees difference but hugely effects the flavor profile.

Back