Differences in Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mill0510

Reaction score
Is there any significance between a fermentation with a thick Krausen (3-4 inches or more) versus one with a thin Krausen (inch or less)? Or a fermentation in which both happen?

My fermentation (Wyeast 1272, OG 1.068) began within 5 hours and built up to a bubbling rate of 1-2 per 2 seconds with a thick Krausen of about 4 inches. After about 12 hours the bubbling rate increased to 1-2 every second or less while the Krausen collapsed within two hours to a thickness of about one-half inch, where it has remained steady, going on 24 hours of fermentation.

I have never seen this happen in a fermentation so I was wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar.

Nope. Each batch and each type of yeast kind of do their own things. Lots of factors lead to this (health of yeast, amount and type of fermentables, temperature, etc). Also the airlock activity isn't necessarily telling you the whole story, temperature changes can lead to it chugging away or slowing down.

Cyclman said:
No two fermentations are alike, which makes glass carboys so much fun.

...or plastic better bottles, if being able to watch all the action is the benefit here. Nothing against glass if you've got them, though.

Back