Differences between 115V & 230V pump motor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattd2

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a pump and the chuggers are a very attractive option, however they seem to all be listed with 115v motors. Is there an actual difference between a 115v and 230v motor or is it the wires go to different connector in the motor, i.e. you can wire the same motor as 115v or 230v?
I ask because the supply in NZ is 230v single phase so I need a motor that will run on 203v

I think you will have to either stick with 230v or get a converter. The converters are not cheap either. When i was stationed in England, I had the same issues with 115v/230v. At least they provided us with free converters. Cheers!

I think you will have to either stick with 230v or get a converter.

What is this opinion based on? I can see if you were stationed over there you would not want to have a electrician rewire all your electrical gear for the 3/6/12/... months you will be there. One bit of information that suggests it is a matter of how you wire the thing is found on the March Pumps website (http://www.marchpump.com/site/files/966/110094/376709/517193/Wiring_Diagram.pdf) for the same motor there is different wiring depending on the voltage it is supplied (it seems). I was wondering if someone could confirm this, that the same motor can be run on 115v or 230v depending on the wiring?

What is this opinion based on? I can see if you were stationed over there you would not want to have a electrician rewire all your electrical gear for the 3/6/12/... months you will be there. One bit of information that suggests it is a matter of how you wire the thing is found on the March Pumps website (http://www.marchpump.com/site/files/966/110094/376709/517193/Wiring_Diagram.pdf) for the same motor there is different wiring depending on the voltage it is supplied (it seems). I was wondering if someone could confirm this, that the same motor can be run on 115v or 230v depending on the wiring?

Ok, I apologize, I am no electrician and certainly don't claim to be. I just thought that was how it was. I will STFU now..:drunk:

I am thinking about getting a pump and the chuggers are a very attractive option, however they seem to all be listed with 115v motors. Is there an actual difference between a 115v and 230v motor or is it the wires go to different connector in the motor, i.e. you can wire the same motor as 115v or 230v?
I ask because the supply in NZ is 230v single phase so I need a motor that will run on 203v

some induction motors can be rewired for other voltages, but most of the small shaded-pole motors used on pumps in the usa can't be rewired because all of the connections are buried in the windings and aren't accessible. capacitor-start motors usually can be rewired for different voltages as well as reverse rotation, but not all..

Ok, I apologize, I am no electrician and certainly don't claim to be. I just thought that was how it was. I will STFU now..:drunk:

Didn't want to come off as an arsehole with that comment, just was wondering if you had been told by someone with more knowledge.
Cheers

There is a difference between the two. Some pumps can be rewired for different voltages and others cant. The March 809 HS for example can not be rewired so you have to order the 240V version. contact the supplier and if they dont carry it or the pump cant be reqired, ask them if they can get a 240V from their supplier on a special order. It shouldnt be an issue for them to do.

What sucks is going from 60 Hz to 50 Hz this will reduce the pump rpm's centrifugal pumps are sensitive of rpm drops in performance ouput.
Your already dealing with only 1/25 HP you may be displeased in pump performance, i'd check with others with March and Chugger pumps running on 50 Hz vs 60 Hz like in the states. Just a heads up.

Second that one. Not only will 50 hz power run less efficiently, it will significantly shorten the life of the motor as well. What you might see about doing is replacing the motor in the pump. If you got the specs from the manufacturer, there is a very good chance that you could swap out the motor locally. Also, you can have the motor rewound by a repair shop. I have only dealt with this on larger 3 and 5 hp motors, and it is fairly expensive. On smaller motors it might be more reasonable. Either way, pay close attention to the hertz of the motor.

Back